PDA

View Full Version : Installing on OS400 from a W2K box

CaseyDaniell
05-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Ok, I have a requirement and haven't been able to find out how to do this in the ISMP documentation. We have a product that needs to be installed on an iSeries (AS/400) box. We would like to have the installer run on a windows box, but connect to the OS400 box and install the software there. How do I go about doing this? I can already create the QTEMP and QTEMP2 files, but we would perfer to connect to the OS400 from a W2K box.

How do I go about creating one of these installs? ( Just pointing me to where this is discussed in the doc would be more then adquate.)

I found this http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114733&highlight=os400

And did the following from my windows cmd line: java -cp SETUP.JAR run -os400 it put all the files in C:/realmx/servers/test on my W2K box except for an _uninst directory that it placed on the OS400. What am I missing? As I said just a pointer to where this is discussed in the doc would be a life saver. (I am having a difficult time finding all the OS400 related sections in the doc -- I know its not a primary platform that is supported.)

Thanks
Casey

William
05-19-2003, 03:51 PM
My guess here is that you are using the "Files" bean and not the "Files400" bean here. For installations that require remote OS/400 installation, the "Files400" bean needs to be used instead. Running the installation with "-os400" is the correct way to go, but the Files bean is always going to install to the local machine. The Files400 bean allows redirection to a remote OS/400 platform.

CaseyDaniell
05-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Yep, I was using the files bean and not the files400 bean. I was just about to post on here that I found my solution, and was told where all the OS400 platform specific documentation is stored.
(I was looking in the general help menu by clicking on the help button on the tool bar, not doing help -> Platform Help -> OS400 )

Is there anyway to do a ASCII File Update on the remotely installed files? ASCII File Update seems to work only on the locally installed files, and not on files just installed using the Files400 type bean.

Basically, I need to do
1. Install files to OS400 remotly using the files (Remote OS400 Support) bean
2. With user entered values (entered using User Input Panel) modify a few files. However ASCII File Update doesn't seem to want to work on these remotly installed files. Any Ideas on how to accomplish this?

Casey

William
05-20-2003, 05:50 PM
As far as I am aware, the AsciiFileUpdateProductAction should work in the remote scenario. How do you have your properties set up on that bean?

CaseyDaniell
05-23-2003, 03:38 PM
I am using the ASCII File Update Wizzard after the Install Action and the Install Summary have been shown in the Installer Tab -> Wizzard Root tree.

The string replacements work correctly when I run it locally on my machien but when I use the -os400 flag and install on the os400 machien the substutions do not occur. It seems like they are not being pushed/performed accross the network.

I tried using a log file to see if there were any errors, but I am not getting too much info at all. Here is my cmd line:

java -cp Setup.jar run -log !/realmx/servers/prod/testlog.log @all;dbg -os400

Again, I am not really getting anything in my log file and I the substution is not occuring. The reason I have to do the ASCII sub with the wizzard and not the ASCII File Product Update Action is that I have to ask for some values at install time then update a server.xml file with a port number.

Any ideas on how to get this working accross the network?

casey

brianl
05-23-2003, 03:59 PM
The AsciiFileUpdateWizard bean won't work in remote OS/400 install scenarios, because it is a wizard bean and the wizard is running on the (Windows) client. The AsciiFileUpdateProduct bean should do the update on the 400...

DME170
05-27-2003, 08:14 AM
Are you sure the file you are attempting to modify is an ASCII file? What is the CCSID of the file as it sits on the OS/400 system?

CaseyDaniell
05-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Ok, try #2 here....

I am farily certain that it is an ASCII type file that I am viewing. It is being placed on the IFS and not in one of the QSYS directories.

I was using the AsciiFileUpdateWizard bean because I read here:

file://C:\Program%20Files\InstallShield\MP50Eval\help\ismp\Topics\ascii_file_update_actions.htm

it sounds like I need to use AsciiFileUpdateWizard bean when I want to edit a file with user input gained from a User Input Panel.

It doesn't sound like input gained from a UserInputPanel can be inserted into a file using the AsciiFileUpdateProduct. Am I incorrect?

How am I supposed to query the installer for information (port number to listen for connections on) then update a server.xml file installed on an OS/400 machien?

Casey

brianl
05-27-2003, 10:44 AM
The AsciiFileUpdateProduct bean can use the value that you retrieve in a User Input Panel. You can use the $W(...) expressions in the Ascii File Update Product bean just as you would in the Ascii File Update Wizard bean.

CaseyDaniell
05-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Hrm....I am stumped here....

Ok, first off I can confirm that a AsciiFileUpdateProduct can use input gained from the User Input Panel, however, it only works when I perform my install on my local windows box -- the ASCI files are not updated with port numbers when I perform a remote install on to my OS/400 machien.

Here is my quick sequence of events for installing.

In the Product tab I have
1. JVM Resolution
2. Files (Remote OS400 Support)
3. ASCII File Update Product Action -- this is where I am doing the update to the OS400 machien.

In the Installer tab I have (built from the wizzard)
1. Installed Product check
2. Welcome panel
3. user Input Panel
all the rest was created using the Typical Product Installation wizzard. What Wizzard/Actions should I use to replace ASCII text on an OS/400 machien when performing a remote install?

Thanks !
Casey

DME170
05-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Again, what is the CCSID of the file as it sits on the OS/400 system after it is installed. By this, I mean, use WRKLNK, and then option 5 to navigate to the directory containing the file, and use option '8' to display attributes for the file. If the CCSID value is 13488- then the file has been installed as Unicode, not ASCII, and will not be updated using the ASCIIUpdate bean....

CaseyDaniell
05-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Oh rock on, thanks for giving the 13488 value, I was unsure that was the CCSID value or not. It was indeed 13488, I changed the MPIS script to use 819 (the values for the source CCSID for the target CCSID) and it is now replacing the values that I was expecting to be replaced!

So what CCSID should I be using for an ASCII file? is 819 a "good" number? This install is just meant to be an EN-US install.

Thanks you much

Casey

DME170
05-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Yep - say the source CCSID is 819, and the target CCSID is 819, and you should be all set to go!

Glad I could help...

gmorreal
01-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Hello,
is there a way to replace a file in UTF-8.
I mean I have a file stored in UTF-8 and I have to send it to the OS400 target machine from my windows machine. After doing it I would like to do a kind of ASCII File Update (let's call it UTF-8 File Update) in order to preserve the file format. Is it possible?

Another way good for me could be to store and send this file as 819 and, after replacing with ASCII File Update, transform it in UTF-8. Is there some ISMP action that could help?

Thank you very much.

Gero.

DME170
01-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Probably best to store it as 819 so the FileUpdate you need to accomplish can be done, and then convert the file to UTF-8.