PDA

View Full Version : Search: Minimum word length

rsknowles
05-15-2003, 10:38 AM
I was unable to search for "return code 3" because "3" was less than 2 characters. Is it possible to allow single digit numerals in a search?

KellyF
05-16-2003, 07:35 AM
The original minimum length for the software was defined as 4 characters. Due to searches for XP, we lowered it to 2 characters which caused the size of the search tables to bloat by over 75%. This also took a hit on search performance. Lowering it to 1 character will put another crunch on it that I'd care not to think about...

Instead, I'll be investigating full text indexing of the tables that store this information and checking whether I can hack the forum software to take advantage of it rather than using a search table. If the hack is successful, you should be able to search on phrases, single characters, etc. and not notice too much of a performance hit.

However, I must stress that I'm checking this out but I have other, higher priority projects which are consuming more of my time. So I'll try to do this as time permits.

KellyF

Originally posted by rsknowles
I was unable to search for "return code 3" because "3" was less than 2 characters. Is it possible to allow single digit numerals in a search?

rsknowles
05-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Once again I am impressed by the quick responses I receive from InstallShield on this board. I appreciate you looking into it. Good luck.

KellyF
07-07-2003, 09:53 AM
The Search button now links against the search engine for the main website. This means that when you enter a question there, it searches the Knowledge Base as well as the community site for answers to your question. Also, because it uses a full text indexing method, there is no miminum length issue to be had.

Oh, and it'll also let you search in multiple languages, unlike the old community search. Enjoy.

KellyF