PDA

View Full Version : Newbie/Research Question: Can you launch the installed app after installation

chrisrivera
05-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Just to clarify, what I mean is after the installer has installed the application, can I launch an option to the user that says some to the effect of "Would you like to run the application now?"

I went through the knowledge base, faqs, over 1,000 pages of pdfs and couldn't find the answer. Curious to see if others have dealt with this, and if so, what solutions did other employ.

Jeff Dillon
05-08-2003, 10:57 PM
The most straight forwatd way to do this would be to...

- Insert a User Input Panel which asks whether or not they want to launch the app.
-Insert a Exec Wizard Action which launches your application. (Can be used to launch any process.)
- Place a User Input Condition on the exec action which only executes if the user input was correct.

That's an overview at least.

jamest_ibm
04-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Has anyone got this working robustly yet?

In addition to Jeff's overview, I think the following are required:

- condition to make sure the install was successful before showing the user input panel
- a finish button on some panel before the exec bean that launches the application

Also, I guess the exec action should go after the logout/reboot beans, since there is no point launching the app only to have to immediately reboot. What are the implications of this?

Looking into all this at the moment but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, James

Btw. it would be great if there was better built-in support for this common requirement in future ISMP versions.

jamest_ibm
04-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Some progress...

and an extra condition:

- condition to prevent the application launching during a silent or console install, if required

Setting the exec wizard action active property to false helps with the Finish button problem. I only tested this using the IDE so I guess I'm going to need a set wizard bean property action, with the user input condition on that.

Cheers, James