PDA

View Full Version : FileNotFoundException for files stored as External resources



jojige
05-07-2003, 07:37 AM
I have migrated my installation routine from 4.53 to 5.0. The migration and the build went through sucessfully but when I run the installation, I get FileNotFoundException in the log file for all the files that are stored as External resources. This was working fine with 4.53.
Have I missed some settings?

Thanks in advance
Joji

jojige
05-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Here is the log entry :
(07-May-2003 15:06:53), Setup.product.install, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, err, java.io.IOException: File does not exist: C:\DOCUME~1\bjojig\LOCALS~1\Temp\LRE3D.tmp\ExchangeInstaller\setup.htm

William
05-07-2003, 11:07 AM
A couple questions:

- What flavor of Windows is this happening on? Is it happening on other OSes (including other Windows flavors)?

- Does this happen on all machines or just this one?

- What type of build are you using (ie. cd-rom, single jar, etc)?

- What is the exact command-line you are using when you run the installation?

- Is the "setup.htm" file present in an "ExchangeInstaller" folder on the media you are running the installation from?

Also, would you mind posting your project file?

jojige
05-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Here are the replies:
1. I am using Windows 2000. I haven't tried on other OSes

2. I have tried on 2 machines and the result is the same.

3. I am using the single jar build.

4. I am using the setup.exe to run the installation. I have also tried the run command from the Installshield GUI.

5. All the files are available in the folder "ExchnageInstaller".

Please find attached the project file.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

jojige
05-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Could anybody from Installshield help me?????
Thanx in advance.

William
05-13-2003, 10:09 AM
I've been trying to reproduce the problem, but have been unable to do so. I created a simple project with two Files beans set to store as external resources into an "ExchangeInstaller" folder on media disk 1, but running that installer does not break in the manner you are describing.

A couple more questions:

1: What JVM are you using when you see the problem?

2: Does the problem occur if you use a different JVM (ie. I used both Jview and Java 1.4.1 without problems)?

3: Did you make any manual modifications to the installation archive after it was built (ie. add in the external files after the build, etcetera)?

jojige
05-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Thanks for your effort.

1. I am using Java 1.4.1_01

2. I haven't tried on other JVMs.

3. No, I didn't do any manual additions to the archive.

I have also tried a few things.
- I created a new Files bean with the files stored as "External Resources" in the same project and this also doesn't work.

- I created a new project in MP 5.0 with 2 files beans with files stored as external resources and this works fine.

My belief is that this has to do something with the conversion of the project from 4.53 to 5.0

William
05-14-2003, 12:16 PM
I tried creating a similar project in 4.53 (ie. two Files beans which both store their resources externally) and converting it with 5.0. There was no problem in the conversion and, further, the installation still worked successfully. There is apparently something specific to the conversion of your project that seems to be related here.

You posted a project previously. Was that the 4.53 or 5.0 project? Would you mind posting the other project as well so I could make a quick comparison between the 4.53 project and the 5.0 converted project? Maybe I can see something at a glance from the project diffs.

William
05-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Out of curiosity, when you moved to ISMP 5.0, did you also migrate the aliases that you had in 4.53? In particular, the "OIP_INSTALLATION" alias?

jojige
05-15-2003, 02:13 AM
Yes, the alias was set for the 5.0 project also. Please find attached the project file of version 4.53

William
05-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Off hand, I don't see any changes that would cause the problem you are seeing. Further, I took the 4.53 project you posted, loaded it in MP 5.0, trimmed it down so I could build it (I made sure to include some of the beans you were seeing the problem with), built it and ran it ... and there were still no problems.

Have you tried manually deleting the built archive (to make absolutely certain the build is fresh) and rebuild the project?

If the problem is still occurring, could you run the installer with the "is.debug" java system property set and post the entire log file. Maybe there is some additional information in there that might help.

jojige
05-16-2003, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the effort.
I have decided to go the hard way:-( I am redoing the entire project in MP 5.0.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Joji

William
05-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Actually, I think I may have stumbled upon the root of the problem here while looking at something else.

Do me a favor and try something for me. In your build configuration, you have you launcher set up to embed the archive jar within it. Change that so that it does NOT embed the archive jar and try the installation again. If that resolves the issue, which I think it will, then your problem and the one I just fixed are the same.

If that did resolve the problem, then not embedding the jar is what I would use for a work-around for the time being. The resolution to the problem will be included in the next service pack.

jojige
05-27-2003, 07:07 AM
It worked:-) but unfortunately, its late:-( I have already finished redoing it in MP 5.0

Thanks for the hint.