PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling new components?

ckessel
05-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Can someone point me to a good explanation of what happens when you reinvoke an installer to add a new component that you didn't select the first time?

Does it try to reinstall the JRE? Does it update the uninstall? Will it try to install other non-selectable components (e.g. I have some components that are always installed, will it reinstall those?)

I'm trying to understand what the installer does, or does not, do when your installing onto a system where the product already exists for the purpose of altering (adding/removing) what components are installed.

Thanks,
Chris

ckessel
05-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Ok, related to this question. I have something like this:

Common Component
Feature A (depends on common)
Feature B (depends on common)

If I've already installed Feature A, then I go back and install Feature B, presumably it's smart enought to know Common Component doesn't need to be reinstalled.

However, I have some post-installation actions that look at the "active" attribute of the component to decide if it should take the action. But, in the case I'm going back and installing Feature B and I *don't* want to run the post-install wizard actions associated with Common Component...they were already run when Feature A was installed.

Is there a way for me to know if a component is actually being installed on the current invocation of the installer?

ckessel
05-02-2003, 06:29 PM
I found a couple posts in the 4.x forum that answered my needs. Most importantly the "activeForUninstall" and "installed" attributes!