PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent error processing registry file

debbielj
04-30-2003, 07:18 PM
First question:
I created an install bundle for my product and sent it off to system test. The bundle fails every time when trying to install on W2K Advanced Server and has failed at least once on W2K Server.
Of course, it does not fail on the system (W2K Advanced Server) on which I am testing my installs. The problem reported in the log concerns the Win32RegistryUpdate. I have had the system test group place the .reg file on thier machine and double click, a registry entry is created. I am at my ropes end trying to figure this out based on simply a log entry. Help!

Second question:
Once the installation fails, it uninstalls features loaded previously to the feature that fails BUT then continues to try to load other features. What can I do to prevent it from trying to load other features?

Here is my .reg file:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Service Agent]
"RootDirectory"="$P(installLocation)\\esa"
"JvmDirectory"="$P(installLocation)\\_jvm"

The .reg file has been saved as ASCII, not unicode. (Have done that one before 8-)

Here is the error:
(Apr 30, 2003 4:11:58 PM), START UP, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32ProductServiceImpl, dbg.install, JVM memory before installing Win32 Registry Update (RegUpdateBean): free=13298976 total=21297664
(Apr 30, 2003 4:11:58 PM), START UP, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32ProductServiceImpl, msg1, installing Win32 Registry Update (RegUpdateBean)
(Apr 30, 2003 4:11:58 PM), START UP, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryException, err, Error while processing registry file C:\DOCUME~1\Generic\LOCALS~1\Temp\LRE2.tmp\setup.jar+/5ef0616add8051bbfb3130858243f6a5/win32reg/RegUpdateBean/MpsaRegistryEntry.reg
(Apr 30, 2003 4:11:58 PM), START UP, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryUpdate, err, ProductException: (error code = 601; message="The system cannot find the file specified.
(2) Error on line 3")
STACK_TRACE: 13
ProductException: (error code = 601; message="The system cannot find the file specified.
(2) Error on line 3")
at com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryUpdate.install(Win32RegistryUpdate.java:101)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:1916)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:5149)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:369)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:333)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:133)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4532)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3727)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:40)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:566)

(Apr 30, 2003 4:11:58 PM), START UP, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryUpdate, err, An error occurred and product installation failed. Look at the log file C:\Program Files\IBM\ServiceAgent\esaInstall.log for details.
(Apr 30, 2003 4:11:58 PM), START UP, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryUpdate, err, ProductException: (error code = 601; message="The system cannot find the file specified.
(2) Error on line 3")
STACK_TRACE: 13
ProductException: (error code = 601; message="The system cannot find the file specified.
(2) Error on line 3")
at com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32RegistryUpdate.install(Win32RegistryUpdate.java:115)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:1916)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:5149)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:369)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:333)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:133)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4532)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3727)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:40)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:566)

RobertDickau
05-01-2003, 12:26 PM
For one possibility, please see InstallShield KB article Q105720, at http://support.installshield.com/kb.

nkirby
05-13-2003, 10:59 AM
In my explorations of the reg bean, I found that it does not want double backslashes "//" in paths. At least, it does not in paths that the string resolver will deal with.

"HOME"="$W(beanid.field)\\bin"

does NOT work for me. SIngle \ in that string work fine.

I get a very cryptic message "Please read important message"
"Important message" with no text.

Also, it mentions in the doc that @ for default must be quoted.

debbielj
05-13-2003, 06:16 PM
The problem was fixed by splitting the line:

into

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\]

The reason the problem was intermittent is because some machines had an IBM key already.

thanks for the help!