PDA

View Full Version : ISMP 5.0 "Java.exe has generated errors..."

ckessel
04-09-2003, 12:08 PM
I've upgrade to ISMP 5.0 and trying to do an installation. I've actually upgraded some custom beans already :), but this is the first time I've tried to actually complete an install with a project built with ISMP 5.0.

I've trimmed my project down to just DestinationPanel and an InstallAction, which just installs 1 file. Nothing custom. I'm on Win32 (NTSP3). I'm using JDK 1.4.1, but I used that with ISMP 4.53 so I don't think that's the issue.

After it reaches 100% installed I get a popup that says "Java.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. An error log is being created."

I'm not sure where the error log is though. There's nothing of interest in the log.txt file genereated by ISMP.

Help! I'm stumped. What's causing this?

ckessel
04-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Ok, more info on this. It's erratic. Sometimes it'll install just fine. Once in a while it'll generate the java errors I mentioned. Other times it hangs at 0% install forever. In the first 2 cases though, it at least generates the uninstaller so I can clean the system.

I just ran it 6 times. The first 5 worked. The 6th install hung at 0% forever. I killed the process and looked at the log.txt and it was 6 Megs!! It looks like it's stuck in some sort of loop. I've truncated the log file to the last several hundred lines (the whole 6 megs was mostly the same, except for a few "normal" log lines at the beginning of the file").

Chris

ckessel
04-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Ok, more info on this. It's erratic. Sometimes it'll install just fine. Once in a while it'll generate the java errors I mentioned. Other times it hangs at 0% install forever. In the first 2 cases though, it at least generates the uninstaller so I can clean the system.

I just ran it 6 times. The first 5 worked. The 6th install hung at 0% forever. I killed the process and looked at the log.txt and it was 6 Megs!! It looks like it's stuck in some sort of loop. I've truncated the log file to the last several hundred lines (the whole 6 megs was mostly the same, except for a few "normal" log lines at the beginning of the file").

Chris

William
04-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Are you running an installation from another installation by any chance??

Is the installation being performed over an old install perhaps??

Something is definitely different from a normal install with a single Files bean in your scenario and I'm trying to determine what that difference is. The reason I say this is due to the "time travel" I am seeing within that log file. There are several points where you seem to go back in time within that log file, which would seem to be an indication that some old log file is being copied into the new one. Any idea where that point of difference might be?

ckessel
04-09-2003, 05:37 PM
>Are you running an installation from another installation by any chance??

Nope, just running setupwin32.exe from the default/disk1 directory.

>Is the installation being performed over an old install perhaps??

Shouldn't be. I uninstall it after each install. My 2 dos windows look like:

setupwin32.exe uninstaller.exe

>There are several points where you seem to go back in time >within that log file, which would seem to be an indication that >some old log file is being copied into the new one. Any idea >where that point of difference might be?

Hmm, well, I don't ever delete the log file, but it can't just be the fact it exists already or it'd fail on the 2nd install, rather than the 3rd, or 4th, or 8th.

ckessel
04-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Clarification, I delete the log file after it's had this error since it's many megabytes long :).

MarloV
04-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Could you please post your project's XML file? You'll have to make a copy of it and change the copy's extension to .txt first.

Maybe we can determine why the installation of that one Files bean keeps repeating over and over. At least, that's how it looks in the last log file you posted.

ckessel
04-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Here's the xml file. I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Chris

MarloV
04-10-2003, 03:58 PM
You have the log file defined twice, which is why everything is being written twice to the log file: You named it in the Product Tree Properties *and* the Wizard Log (Installer Tab). In the bean help and User's Guide (for the Product Tree Properties/Log File), it advises

This file should either be renamed here, or set in the Installer Tab in the Wizard Log Action/Log Output property, which overrides the "log.txt" Log File property here in the Product Tab.
Try removing the log file name in the Product Tree Properties and see if that helps. I wasn't able to test that because of your custom validator and the references to it.

To add to that, you're logging *absolutely everything* ... That will also greatly increase the size of your log file. Try unchecking "Log All Events" and see if that helps.

Those are the only things I could find. Hope they help!

ckessel
04-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks! That seems to have solved the problem. It makes sense there could be a race condition on the file handle somehow with both specified, though it wouldn't have occurred to me to check for that.

If you're ever in Portland, Oregon, I'll buy the beer :).

FYI, I'd moved to the 1.3.1 JVM that ships with ISMP 5.0 after getting the "java generated errors" message, and then ran into this log issue.

I'm now back to the "java generated errors" problem though. After some hunting on google I ran across the following Sun bug report for systems with ATI video cards. Seems to describe my error. I'm trying to put in their work arounds now.

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4713003.html

ckessel
04-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Oh, the "java generated errors" occurred when I went back to using 1.4.1 after the log file issue was resolved, which make sense as it matches the bug report.

ksiddharth
04-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi,
I am facing the same problem. Did u find a fix for this

-Sidd