PDA

View Full Version : response file error message

viorelmarius
04-09-2003, 04:50 AM
I have created an InstallShield Project and I have created a Windows launcher distribution in which the showConsole parameter is false and the wizardArguments parameter is equal with: "-options options.txt".

I run the setup.exe created and there is no file "options.txt" in the directory from where the setup is run. If at some point at execution time I press the cancel button I receive a message telling me if I want to exit. If I confirm the setup terminates but an error message is displayed on which it is written:
"The response file options.txt was not found.
The response file options.txt was not found."

The message above "The response file options.txt was not found.' is displayed twice on the error message. I think this is not correct.

The message above is displayed after the java process that launch the internal setup.jar has terminated.
The message above does not appear if I launch the setup with
java -jar muse-setup.jar run -options "options.txt"
or if I run the setup with
setup.exe -is:javaconsole
Can you fix this so that the message not to be displayed twice or not to be displayed at all which would be preferable.

MarloV
04-09-2003, 08:51 AM
First, you can generate the 'options.txt' file on the command line using, for example, the following command:

java -cp setup.jar run -options-template options.txt

You would then edit 'options.txt' and set the parameters as needed. Then, to run the installation using the options file, you need to give the full path to 'options.txt'. For example:

java -cp setup.jar run -options /opt/mydirectory/options.txt

Please see the MultiPlatform User's Guide, Chapter 5.6 - Response/Options File for step-by-step instructions.

viorelmarius
04-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks for your quick reply.

I know all theese.
But this is not my problem.
My problem is that I want my setup to work fine even if the options file is not found.

Initially I have made a setup which has the following parameters as default:

"-options options.txt -options-record options.txt"

Practically when I run the setup for the first time the options are recorded in the options.txt file. When I run the setup next time the file is found in the current directory and it is used and next regenerated. But the first time the setup is run there is no such file. And if the user cancel the setup for some reason it will appear the error specified.

MarloV
04-10-2003, 08:11 AM
I know of no way to supress the message that a file you specify in your command to run the setup isn't found when it doesn't exist.

It isn't clear why you want to include the -options options.txt flag when you run the setup for the first time when the 'options.txt' file doesn't exist. Options/response files are intended for silent installations.

If you are trying to capture the end user's input for use in a future silent installation, you are on the right track in using -options-record options.txt in your command. But when you include in the command to look for a file that doesn't exist, you are going to get an error message.

viorelmarius
04-10-2003, 08:39 AM
The parameter "-options <options file>" can be used for silent installations, but it can also be used to complete the fields of setup panels with values so that the user simply click next on each panel or make simple modifications of the values that are already completed.

I have created my beans so that for each custom panel if some bean properties are set the fields in the interface will be completed with the properties values.

This is what I was trying to do.

MarloV
04-10-2003, 08:44 AM
I see what you're trying to do.

Then it appears that you need to ensure that the "options.txt" file exists when the installation runs.