PDA

View Full Version : Multiple _uninst directories?

rsundaar
04-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Is there any way to make the installer overwrite the _uninst directory instead of it creating _uninst2 directories?

We would like to provide the user the ability to re-install our product. Everything works fine, except for the multiple _uninst directories. Is there anything I can change to make this happen?

Thanks,
Ravi.

rickra
04-28-2003, 12:40 PM
I encounterd this a long, long time ago,

I created a simple wizard action that
was placed just before the InstallShield
"install" action.

This bean simply looked for <absoluteInstallLocation>/_uninst, and
if empty, which is the case when your product/suite has been fully removed,
removes this directory....

William
04-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Running the product installation to install again to the same installation location should normally trigger a reinstall of the product to that location. In that scenario, the uninstall information is updated, rather than a new folder for uninstallation information being created. It looks lik something is special about your case.

1: Have you deleted or modified the "vpd.properties" file on that platform between installs (assuming it is not one with native registry integration)?

2: Have you removed\modified the uninstallation jar or dat files manually from the original "_uninst" folder?

3: Am I understanding your situation correctly (ie. you are simply running the same exact installation again after a previous installation and setting it to install to the same location)?

4: Do you happen to be using any custom beans in your install that change install location settings?

rickra
04-28-2003, 07:22 PM
I agree with all your points that you have mentioned. The problem that I ran into, and still do, is during a full uninstall of my suite, the _uninstall is left behind, empty.

Subsequent installs causes new _uninstall directories to be created, with a numeric value at the end.

_uninstall2
_uninstall3

etc....

There have been several posts on this issues, and in my case, only happens on Unix systems, Windows system seems to properly clean-up after a full uninstall....

William
04-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Gotcha... Let me ask a few questions so we can look into reproducing the issue and fixing it:

1: Which UNIX platform(s) are you seeing it on (including OS versions)?

2: What platforms have you enabled in the build of your project? (This helps determine whether a platform-specific set of services are being used or if it is using the generic unix implementations.)

3: Were there any remnants of the install lying around (perhaps in temporary folder locations) after an install\uninstall sequence on a clean machine (other than the "_uninst" folders, of course)?

4: If you create a very simple install (ie. just installs one file, for example) with the same platforms supported, does the same situation occur?

vjames
11-14-2003, 09:21 PM
You can easily reproduce this on windows by invoking the uninstaller from the _uninst directory (command prompt). In that case, ISMP will not be able to delete the folder

William
11-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Assuming that you do not leave the directory soon after doing so (ie. there is a process running in the background that will continue making attempts to delete that directory for a while after the uninstall has completed).