PDA

View Full Version : Creating a desktop icon

meersburg
04-01-2003, 07:00 AM
Hi,

I just tried to create a desktop icon. It should be connected to a launcher. Therefore I defined the target to be $P(launcher.installedFileName) where "launcher" is the id of my launcher bean.

The problem is, the created desktop icon is directed to the wrong target. It points to my desktop!

If I use
$P(files1.absoluteInstallLocation)/worx/worx.exe
as the target, it works. But with this approach I lose the feature to be platform idependent.

I'm working with Win2000.

Any help?

Thanks!

MarloV
04-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Instead of typing in the location in the property editor, try clicking the ellipsis and selecting the executable from the displayed Product Tree.

meersburg
04-09-2003, 12:58 AM
After some investigation and a talk to InstallShield, I discovered the problem: It is a problem of ordering. I did create the desktop icon first. Then I created the launcher. There was no error, warning or so. Even there was no value called "null" as seen in some other situations.

Now I know the ordering was wrong. But before I didn't see.

So the problem is solved - I'm happy! :)

Thank you.

MarloV
04-09-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm glad you were able to determine the problem and resolve it. Yes, the beans in the Product Tree are executed (when the Install Action runs in the Installer Tree) in the sequence they are listed in the Product Tree. Therefore, it is important that they be sequenced correctly.

In addition to the Files bean that contains the executable for a Product Launcher needing to be before the Product Launcher in the Product Tree sequence, the ASCII File Update Action requires that the file it should modify (if it doesn't already exist on the target machine) be installed prior to the action. Therefore, that Files bean needs to be before the ASCII File Update Action in the Product Tree sequence.