PDA

View Full Version : Registry

khanna111
03-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Hello all,
Can I use the VPD registry for all the OSs' including Windows, HPUX, Linux and other UNIX variants to register and unregister software objects. Our product installs on multiple platforms and we were thinking of standardizing on having one place and one way to register objects. So even if we are installing on windows, we are not registering anything with the Windows Registry but with VPD.

Thanks

Jeff Dillon
03-28-2003, 02:28 PM
The VPD is by ISMP used on all platforms. On windows the VPD is written to the windows system folder. C:\WINNT or C:\Windows in most cases.

khanna111
03-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. So does that mean we can work with only the VPD registry on all platforms - register and unregister our products and components in VPD?

I was looking at the InstallShield Multiplatform documentation and I quote:
The Registry Service registers and unregisters software objects for all operating systems except Windows, HP-UX version 10.20, and Generic Unix:

This is a little confusing. Can somebody explain this? Does this mean that the registry service does not write information to the VPD on these platforms?

Thanks

Jeff Dillon
03-28-2003, 02:48 PM
That statement is not correct. The registry service is available for all platforms. It should say...

The Registry Service is able to register and unregister software objects into each platforms native package registry for all operating systems except Windows, HP-UX version 10.20, and Generic Unix.

The VPD can be used on all platforms and the Registry service is always available. It is meerely a matter of whether the Registry Service's data store is the vpd.properties file or the systems native package registry.

I'll forward this to our tech writer.

Jeff Dillon
03-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Also, 5.0 gives the ability to turn off all native package registries and always use the vpd.properties file.

This can be done under the build tab => platform support.

khanna111
03-28-2003, 02:58 PM
on Windows, the data would be sent to the vpd.properties file. And if I use it on Linux, it would be sent to the platform's registry? Or would it be sent to the platform's registry along with a copy being maintained in the vpd.properties?

So can I be platform agnostic when I use the registry service to set and retrieve data about the products that we install?

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks once again.

khanna111
03-28-2003, 03:02 PM
So I can go ahead and turn off all native registreries. But at the same time, I can also access the Win 32 registry value wizard action bean and retreive values?

Thanks

MarloV
03-28-2003, 03:02 PM
The Registry Service registers and unregisters software objects for all operating systems except Windows, HP-UX version 10.20, and Generic Unix

That statement is, in fact, correct. The Win32 Registry Service handles the registry for all Windows platforms. Information about the Win32 Registry is accessed from the Help drop-down menu at the top of the IDE: Select Platform Help/Win32 Platform Pack/Win32-specific Services.

Jeff Dillon
03-28-2003, 03:57 PM
>So can I be platform agnostic when I use the registry service to >set and retrieve data about the products that we install?

Yes.

>But at the same time, I can also access the Win 32 registry
>value wizard action bean and retreive values?

Yes, the ISMP Registry Service has nothing to do with the Windows Registry.

khanna111
03-28-2003, 04:52 PM
So if I am to say that I can use the registry service in any platform to read/write data to the vpd.properties file. But to do this I need to disable all native registries.

Also, if I do not disable all native registries and I use the registry sevice then, on Windows, the registry service would be writing to the Windows Registry? Or would it be writing to the vpd.properties file and also to the Windows Registry?

Thanks

RobertDickau
03-28-2003, 05:04 PM
The VPD registry and the Win32 registry are unrelated. (RegistryService is for the VPD registry, and Win32RegistryService is for the Win32 registry, what you view with regedit.)

To use the (VPD) RegistryService, you can enable or disable native integration, as you see fit. The VPD registry will be used in addition to the native registration mechanism (if enabled).