PDA

View Full Version : vpd registry

Sushanta
03-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Is ISMP 5.0 still using the same conventions regarding the vpd.properties file as previous versions of the ISMP?

Specificly does ISMP 5.0 store a global vpd file on the host where an ISMP installler is run or does the ISMP 5.0 register components per installation as opposed to registering components of all applications (installed with ISMP) in the same file at the same location (i.e. C:\WINNT\vpd.properties)?

RobertDickau
03-28-2003, 02:38 PM
As far as I know, there weren't any fundamental changes in VPD-registry behavior in ISMP 5.0.

Sushanta
03-31-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by RobertDickau
As far as I know, there weren't any fundamental changes in VPD-registry behavior in ISMP 5.0.

Thanks but we've solved our problem by using Install Anywhere, which places its registry in the installation directory and solvels all the problems ISMP 4.51 seemed unable to.

But thanks anyway

SaBarr
04-08-2003, 08:25 AM
I agree with Sushanta.
I cannot understand why ISMP stores all its information in a global vpd.properties file which will be shared by all ISMP installations on this machine. This causes many very critical problems. The probabilities are great that your installation is not able to update anymore because of a missing or corrupted vpd.properties file.
In my opinion this is a fundamental deficiency in ISMP and should be corrrected as soon as possible.

gmebert
04-16-2003, 09:03 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. At the very least the use of the vpd.properties should be OPTIONAL.

ryanmicj
04-17-2003, 02:52 PM
I would imagine that using an installation-neutral registry, such as the vpd.properties file, is the only way to do things such as the AlreadyInstalledCondition.

Putting a registry file in the installation directory wouldn't help, since upon starting the installation, the installer would have no idea where to look for previous installations. It needs to look in some predefined location for such information.

A global file used by all installations is probably not the best way to go about things, but the way InstallAnywhere does things has its own set of problems.

gmebert
04-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Good points - but I still believe that as the developer of the installation I should be allowed to make the decision to use the vpd.properties globally, locally or not at all.

This issue has been raised by numerous users since I began using the product 3+ years ago and has personally caused me many problems. I keep hoping that this feature will become more flexible.