PDA

View Full Version : Updating to Java 1.4.1 on OSX breaks ISMP.

OwenBorstad
03-11-2003, 12:33 PM
With the latest Java update from apple (via software update this morning), ISMP (eval) no longer runs properly. It searches for a Java Virtual Machine, and can't find one.

is_davidj
03-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Owen,

Can you elaborate on your situation a little bit? Had you already installed ISMP onto your Mac prior to installing the 1.4.1 Java update from Apple? And now you can't run the IDE any longer?

Thanks,
Dave Johnson

OwenBorstad
03-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by is_davidj
Owen,

Can you elaborate on your situation a little bit? Had you already installed ISMP onto your Mac prior to installing the 1.4.1 Java update from Apple? And now you can't run the IDE any longer?

Thanks,
Dave Johnson

Yes, I had installed the evaluation version of ISMP on the mac, and it was working fine. I had rebooted a few times, and ran it without problems. This morning, there was the 1.4.1 Java update from Apple, and when it finished installing, I tried runing the IDE and it gave the message:

"
Searching for Java(tm) Virutal Machine...
Searching for Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
.............................A suitable JVM could not be found. Please runn the program again using hte option -is:javahome <JAVA HOME DIR>
logout
"

I can't figure out how to run it using that command line parameter.

I can re-run the installer, but haven't tried re-installing yet.

I can not run the uninstall either. It gives the same message as above.

is_davidj
03-11-2003, 07:47 PM
This is a problem with our ISMP installer on Mac. We will fix it it for the future. In the meantime, here's a workaround. Copy the attached ZIP file to the directory where you installed ISMP. Extract the contents to that directory.

It creates ismp141.command in the ISMP directory and uninstall141.command in the _uninst directory.

In order to run the IDE, double-click the ismp141.command file. To uninstall the eval version in the future, you'll need to double-click the _uninst/uninstall141.command file.

I can only post one file to each message on the community, so I am going to follow-up with another message that applies to anyone targeting Mac OSX. That message will contain a zip file with updated Mac jvm files so that other products don't run into this same problem.

Thanks for your patience, and I apologize for the inconvenience.
Dave Johnson

is_davidj
03-11-2003, 07:52 PM
For people who have already installed ISMP 5.0, I have attached a ZIP file containing updated jvm description files for Mac OSX. If you are targeting Mac OSX, you should extract the contents of this zip file to the directory where you installed ISMP. We recommend backing up the existing files in jvms/macosx first since it will overwrite the two files in the jvms/macosx subdirectory.

These newer files include the path where the JVMs reside physically rather than just pointing to the /Library/Java/Home/ path which is actually a symbolic link to the current JVM. This solves the problem where the OSX launcher cannot find earlier versions of the Apple JVM after a Java update from Apple is installed.

Thanks,
Dave Johnson
InstallShield Software

OwenBorstad
03-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by is_davidj
This is a problem with our ISMP installer on Mac. We will fix it it for the future. In the meantime, here's a workaround. Copy the attached ZIP file to the directory where you installed ISMP. Extract the contents to that directory.

In order to run the IDE, double-click the ismp141.command file. To uninstall the eval version in the future, you'll need to double-click the _uninst/uninstall141.command file.

Unzipped the files in the right location, tried running them, and got:

[computer:~] owen% /Applications/InstallShield/MP50Eval/ismp141.command; exit
/Applications/InstallShield/MP50Eval/ismp141.command: ./ismp.command: No such file or directory
logout

is_davidj
03-12-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry, I posted the wrong file. One thing I'd like to note is that the files contained within this ZIP assume that you had Java 1.3.1 on your machine prior to upgrading to 1.4.1. If that's not the case, just edit the two files after extracting them to point them to the appropriate JVM. You'll see the path as the argument after the -is:javahome in those files.

Thanks.
Dave

OwenBorstad
03-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Yeay! That works great now. Thanks.