PDA

View Full Version : Entire setup downloaded after an uninstall

zetron
03-10-2003, 08:49 PM
I created two versions (1.0 and 1.1) of a product using the same GUID. vBuild online packages were generated from these two versions. The online package of 1.1 also supports upgrade from 1.0. The size of the 1.0 package is 93MB, size of the 1.1 package is 74MB, and size of the 1.0->1.1 upgrade is 6MB.

First, I installed 1.0, then I applied 1.1 upgrade using vBuild online package. The install target folder for 1.1 is different from 1.0; I created a new folder for the new version. The files and folders for 1.0 remained unchanged. The download size of < 6MB, which is reasonable. Checked the files for 1.1 and everything was fine. Then I uninstalled 1.1 and reverted back to 1.0. I ran 1.1 upgrade again, but this time the download size was ~74MB. I would expect that the download size should be < 6MB.

Alon
03-10-2003, 09:16 PM
The reason for this behavior is that when you install two versions with the same GUID to different places, Instal Shield cached for maintanence/upgrade reasons only one of the copies, the latter (i.e. you cannot uninstall and remove from disk both versions, but only one of them). So, when you uninstalled it removed one of them, 1.1, but also removed any information about this product GUID. So when you re-installed 1.0it could not locate it. For this reason we have added the "manual" search rules. You can solve this problem by adding search rules to 1.0 groups, i.e. move from automatic to user search rules.

Alon.

zetron
03-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Do I have to rebuild BOTH 1.0 and 1.1 packages after making the change? Rebuilding a package takes a long time... Thanks.

Alon
03-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Sorry, but yes... We are planning to improve build time in future versions by using a cache, but right now you have to rebuild.

Alon.