PDA

View Full Version : How about a Getting Started Section

DanBair
02-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Being new to software deployment methodologies, it has taken nearly a week to determine that Install Shield is probably our only option to deploy a VBA application across multiple windows operating systems.

Problem: We don't know what Install Shield product we need.

Again, we need to distribute our VBA application across multiple windows operating systems (95, 98, NT, ME, 2000 and XP). The Microsoft Package and Deployment Wizard allows me to attach the Office XP runtime to my deployment package. This creates a "bundle" that will run on any machine even if it has/has not the Office XP runtime on it. My understanding is, that my application will not run outside of that "bundle".

But the Microsoft Package and Deployment Wizard fails miserably in some other areas. What I need is:

1. A deployment tool that allows me to include the Office XP runtime for my VBA (Access) application.

2. A deployment tool that allows me to scan my VBA executable (a .mdb file) for other dependancies.

3. I need to be able to easilly include a license agreement to my installation CD.

4. I need to attach my shortcut .icon file to my VBA executable (the .mdb file) and move the shortcut to the user's desktop.

Thanks in advance for helping a beginner.