PDA

View Full Version : Setting [INSTALLDIR] to a Registry setting

John H. Freeman
02-05-2003, 05:02 PM
I have read the ISX 4.0 instructions on how to set the [INSTALLDIR] value from an existing registry setting. I used this feature in the ISX 2.13. The notation was a little different but it is not new territory to me. For some reason this does not seem to work in ISX 4.0. Is there any one else that has had a problem with this feature in 4.0?

Chandima
02-05-2003, 06:30 PM
It should work just fine. Does the registry entry you point at exist in the machine before you run the setup? What is the key you point at (in General Information View)?

John H. Freeman
02-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Chandima,

Thank you for your quick response. The answers to your questions are:

Yes, my preinstallation process insures the destination machine has the registry key. If not, it creates with defalut value to program files. If it exists it should be the destination machine location the user elected on initial installation.

The registry key I had in General was:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\(My application name)\Settings\InstallLocation\

I have, since the first post, modified the string to read:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\(My application name)\Settings\InstallLocation

Note the only change in the string is the elimination of the backslash.

Help Documentation reads:

Example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\AppPaths\App.exe\

The trailing backslash specifies that the final portion of the specifier is the name of a key and not a value name.

The wording The trailing backslash specifies that the final portion of the specifier is the name of a key and not a value name. is misleading.

Bottom line -- it works without the trailing backslash.

Thanks again,
John

Chandima
02-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Interesting. Is the path stored in the default value of the key named "InstallLocation" or is it stored in a string value named "InstallLocation" in the "Settings" key?

If it is the former, then the help needs to be updated. If not, I think that is what it's trying to say :).

John H. Freeman
02-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks,

The latter, but I was still confused. I suggest a more specific example maybe with a screen shot of the registry keys would help.

John

Chandima
02-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Point taken. I shall put in a work order to get this updated. Thanks!