PDA

View Full Version : Product GUID

marknorris
02-04-2003, 07:42 AM
I am struggling with the concept of the Product and Upgrade GUIDs. The IS 4 Express Help File states that the Product GUID should be uniquely generated for each new version of the product. To me, this means that v3.0.1, v3.0.2, v3.0.3 will each have a different Product GUID, but the upgrade GUID will stay the same for all three versions and will only be changed when v4 is released.

However, the update service (which I am evaluating) uses the product code and version to determine what updates will be available. The help file for the update service states that the product GUID does not change between minor releases of your application. To me, this means that v3.0.1, v3.0.2, v3.0.3 will all share the same product GUID.

There is a contradiction here.

So, can someone give me examples of how the product GUID and upgrade GUIDs should be set between new builds (e.g. 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.0.3) and major releases (e.g. 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3).

Please note that we do not change the second digit (commonly known as the minor version number).

Many thanks

Mark