PDA

View Full Version : set Path problem in Win9x

Fturner
02-03-2003, 10:12 AM
I am using the Environment Variables to set up a path to the library files my application needs. In Win9x, the resulting set-path statement in the autoexec contains a long directory name that does not execute. I have to manually edit the line before it works correctly. WinXP works correctly. My evironmental Variable is PATH and it's settings are:

Feature - Always Install
Value - [INSTALLDIR]bin\win32
On Install - Set
Placement - Append
On Uninstall - Remove
Type - System

Can this problem be corrected? Thanks.

Chandima
02-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Try setting as follows and see if it works:

Value - "[INSTALLDIR]bin\win32"

Fturner
02-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Chandima,

This does the same thing. In looking at some of the other forums here, it appears that this is a problem with several or all InstallShield versions. Is there a script that can detect the Windows version and then change directory names to the short versions for Win9x? If not, this should be a high priority if you are claiming that InstallShield works for all Windows versions. Thanks.

Fred Turner

Chandima
02-04-2003, 06:24 PM
InstallShield Developer and Express will have this problem because it's a limitation of the Windows Installer. What happens if you run your setup with the following command line:

Setup.exe /v"SHORTFILENAMES=1"

Fturner
02-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Chandima,

I get "C:\Program Files\Mynewd~1", which is partly correct, but the system still hangs on "Program Files".

Chandima
02-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Aha! I think I found a workaround! What is the name of your file? Assume it's "Notepad.exe". Then set the Ini File's value to:

[!NOTEPAD.EXE]

Build and install.

It should either show the short path to the file, or nothing at all. If it shows nothing it simply means that we are using the wrong FileKey. The FileKey is the internal name the installer uses. We generally name this key after the file's actual name. To figure out the file key (if you have ORCA):

1. Build your setup uncompressed
2. Open the msi in ORCA
3. Go to File table
4. Look for the row corresponding to your file in the "FileName" column.
5. The FileKey is the value of that row in the first column (File)