PDA

View Full Version : How do I set registry key permissions on target machine?

ambilio
01-29-2003, 04:18 AM
How do I set the registry key permissions (keys which I've instructed Express to install) on the target machine?

Paul M.
01-30-2003, 09:58 AM
This can be simply done by right clicking on the registry key in the registry view. Once you have done this you should see a permissions option. This will allow you to set the permission on the key.

wsteinford
03-06-2003, 03:06 PM
It's not quite as easy as that, because a Domain and Username are requested before you are allowed to specify the permissions to set.

It's, of course, impossible to know the Domain and Username of all target installations, so variables MUST be used here, and it is documented to use "%USERDOMAIN" and "Everyone" ... sort of, that is, since the Windows Installer docs say:

>> With Windows Installer version 1.5 or later, the common user names "Everyone," and "Administrators" may be entered in English and are mapped to Well-Known SIDs

What is a "Well-Known SID"?? I found this other thread in this forum in my searches:
"Give User "Everyone" Permissions to INSTALLDIR"

Which says that the docs imply using "[%USERDOMAIN]" and "Everyone", but that Windows Installer chokes on that, too, and that the workaround is to just leave the Domain blank and fill in "Everyone" as the user. I haven't tried this yet, but I hope it works!

wsteinford
03-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Okay, I've Verified that:
Domain: [%USERDOMAIN]
User: Everyone

...still throws Error 1609 during installation,

and that the workaround:

Domain (blank):
User: Everyone

...does work properly.