PDA

View Full Version : Packaging QuickPatch for Web

llewis
01-28-2003, 04:00 PM
I have looked through the help files, FAQ and known issues and cannot figure out how to build a QuickPatch for delivery on the Web. I built an installation for the Web and it worked well. I built a QuickPatch and the Upgrade.exe worked well.

But I can't seem to get a QuickPatch to build for the web. If you select the Webdeployment folder when asked to specify the project to patch, no files with the necessary extensions are listed. If a patch is created from a different source, the Web Deployment Wizard menu item is disabled in the QuickPatch project.

Is this by design or have I missed something somewhere? I upgraded from 2.1.3 so all these changes are a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Lamont Lewis

Chandima
01-28-2003, 04:28 PM
This is actually a limitation. This is because when you create a QuickPatch it does an Admin Install of the package you point at. This "Admin Install" is not possible with a Web setup because the msi file is inside a cab file and not Setup.exe.

Did you create the WebDeployment build in Express 3.x or 4.x? If so, do you still have the project that created it? If so, just rebuild that project using either CDROM or SingleImage media and build a QuickPatch off this. The QuickPatch will work with your WebDeployment build as well.

llewis
01-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Thank you for your rapid reply:

<Did you create the WebDeployment build in Express 3.x or 4.x? >
I created it using Express 4.0

<If so, do you still have the project that created it? If so, just rebuild that project using either CDROM or SingleImage media and build a QuickPatch off this. >

I build the patch off of the CDROM. The result is the Update.exe file. It is unclear to me how this can be made to work with the web deployment build. I tried modifying the Default.html file to reference the Update.exe rather than the cab file. This did not have the desired results either.

<The QuickPatch will work with your WebDeployment build as well.>

If I select the Web Deployment build in the QuickPatch Wizard I always get the following message :"The release you have chosen is either not built of appears to be missing some files. Please rebuild that release and return to this wizard, or choose another release." I can rebuild the Web Deployment, it will work fine but will still get this message when trying to build a patch.

Thank you again for any light you can shine on this problem.

Regards

Lamont Lewis

Chandima
01-30-2003, 12:51 PM
I see the confusion.

The facts:
1. You cannot build a QuickPatch off a WebDeployment media type
2. You CAN build a QuickPatch off a CDROM Build
3. - Create your project
- create a WebDeployment build
- create a CDROM build
- make a patch off the CDROM Build
- install the WebDeployment build
- and then run the patch
- it will work. Trust me.

You pretty much want an html page (with the one click install like look) that will simply launch your patch when you press the "Install" button. Is this correct?

llewis
01-30-2003, 01:44 PM
<You pretty much want an html page (with the one click install like look) that will simply launch your patch when you press the "Install" button. Is this correct?>
Correct. But I am still confused as to how to accomplish this.

I create a Web Deployment Build -result is setup.cab, default.htm and others

Create CDROM 1 click build - result is setup.exe etc.

Create a QuickPatch which requires selecting an existing build - cannot select Web Deployment build so select CDROM build : Result = Update.exe

Web Deployment wizard not available in the QuickPatch project. Manually modifying the html code in Web Deployment build to point to Update.exe does not provide desired result.

Now what?

Chandima
01-31-2003, 01:10 PM
That's because the code in the default html files specifically look for the cab and then do some other stuff I'm not quite familiar with. The easiest solution for you would be simply create your own html page (using Microsoft Frontpage or even Word). You can use the images in the WebDeployment build folder to make it look similar. Simply add a hyperlink to the "Install" button image that links to the Update.exe you place on the web.

llewis
02-04-2003, 02:52 PM
I still cannot get the same type of functionality provided by the web deployment build. Point of comparison. I run the Web Deployment build to install the complete application (not what I want at this time). First dialog appears 9 seconds after clicking the install button. Installation complete after 50 seconds. This is very nice.

Create a web page with a link that points to the Update.exe. Click on the link and a progress bar starts crawling across the bottom of the page. 5 minutes later nothing has happened. All of this occuring over a T1 connection.

I tried downloading CabMaker and creating a cab file out of the update.exe. I mirrored the contents of the setup.cab. This still fails to install the patch.

Evidently it cannot be made to perform in the same manner as the web deployment build provided by InstallShield. It appears I can have the user download the 3.5 meg file and run it from their machine but this is no where near as slick of a solution as the web deployment capability for the entire project.

If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Lamont

Chandima
02-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Hmm. What if you make a WebDeployment build of a setup that does NOT use One-Click Install (making it a "Save or Run" setup), edit the htm file created and make it launch Update.exe instead. Only downside to this would be that the user is asked whether to download or run from the web. You can always update the htm to swap graphics (for buttons and text).

llewis
02-07-2003, 12:54 PM
That almost works. Run it locally and it appears to work. Unfortunalely, when it is run from the web server we get:

Event ID: 1015
Source: MSIInstaller
Description: Failed to connect to server: Error: 0x80070005.

The patch I am trying to install is supposed to update a single file. Even when the installation runs it does not update the file. No errors are generated but the application is not updated either.

While looking at the files in the QuickPatch wizard, I select the file from the original installation project and drag it to the lower pane "Files to Patch". With this file selected in the Files To Patch, I place the name of the updated version of the file including the path in the update file box in the right pane.

The project will build with no errors or warnings. Running will produce one of two outcomes. Either it (1) runs all the way through as if successful, but when the files are checked nothing has changed or (2) tells me the "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

This makes no sense to me since I have verified all version numbers. At first I thought the problem was due to the fact that several older versions reside on my system since I am the developer. Unfortunately the same problem (mainly situation 1) can be recreated on other systems.

I am open to suggestions. The ability to update my application from the web page was the main reason for updating to this version. Hopefully we can make this work.

Thanks,

Lamont