PDA

View Full Version : CreatingShortcut Point File on CD : INSTALLDIR

montana
01-28-2003, 10:08 AM
I am trying to recreate the situation described in tech note "Creating a Shortcut Pointing to a File on the CD".

I have done the four steps described, but am not clear what value I should place in the INSTALLDIR field in General Information.

Assuming notepad.exe is the filename, should this be :
<SOURCEDIR>notepad.exe.

I get a 1606 error at runtime when using this.

John

YMESTAR
01-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Hi John,

Error 1606 is caused because <SourceDir> is not a valid directory specifier. Following solution from article Q107104 will help you resolve this error.

1. Go to General Information view and click the ellipsis (...) in the INSTALLDIR field. This launches the Set INSTALLDIR dialog.
2. Select a predefined folder like ProgramFilesFolder or another folder and click OK. This populates the selected folder as the value of INSTALLDIR.
3. Click the ellipsis (...) in the INSTALLDIR field again to launch the Set INSTALLDIR dialog.
4. Scroll to the <SourceDir> folder that was causing the error message and Delete it.
5. Click OK to save these changes.
6. Rebuild your release to eliminate the error message.

You should not have to set INSTALLDIR to SourceDir or any such value. The fact that your feature's remote installation property is set to Favor Source, the shortcut will go to the source location to launch the file. Follow the steps in article Q106376 to accomplish this: http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=CLASS350XEE&articleid=Q106376 .

Thanks
Neeru

montana
01-29-2003, 04:34 AM
Neeru

Thank you for your help. These are the steps I am currently going through, without success.

Start Installshield Express 4.0
 Choose create a new project
 Save new project in desktop folder called INSTALLER. File is called ANIMALS.ise
 General Information : Product Name : ANIMALS
 Features : Always Install : Remote Installation=Favor Source; Advertised=Allow Advertise.
 Files : drag animals .EXE from ANIMALS folder on desktop in upper pane to Destimation Computer : [ProgramFilesFolder]:Your Company Name : Your Product Name [INSTALLDIR}.
 Shortcuts : right click on Desktop : choose new advertised shortcut : select ANIMALS.EXE from [ProgramFilesFolder]:Your Company Name : Your Product Name [INSTALLDIR}in dialog.
 No specific changes to steps 4,5,6
 Build : right click on CD-ROM : Compress Media is NO : F7 to build successfully.
 Copy animals.MIS, instmsia, instmsiw, setup.exe,setp.ini, 0x0400.ini from desktop/installer/animals/express/cd_rom/diskimages/disk1 to root of animals folder on desktop.
 Run Setup. This completes successfully and creates an icon on the desktop.
 Double clicking on the icon does nothing. It does not launch the program.

Alternative:

Repeat steps above except create standard shorcut :

Features : Always Install : Remote Installation=Favor Source; Advertised=Disallow Advertise.
 Shortcuts : right click on Desktop : choose new shortcut : select ANIMALS.EXE from [ProgramFilesFolder]:Your Company Name : Your Product Name [INSTALLDIR}in dialog.

This creates an icon on the desktop which points to program files\company name\company product. This fails to run correctly because only the .EXE file is located in this folder and not other related files.

John

Chandima
01-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Try putting your exe on a new feature instead of the Always Install feature. If you put some files in a feature called "TestFeature", set it's "Remote Installation" property to "Favor Source", build uncompressed, and install, the file should NOT get copied to the local machine.