PDA

View Full Version : USB driver

efkefk
01-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Hello,
I would like to automatically install USB drivers (.inf and .sys files).

Depending of the operating system, the folders to put these files are different (with Win98 and WinXP for instance)

I have actually Installshield Express 2, and it seems that this version is not able to do that.

Is it possible to do that with Installshield Express 4 ?

If yes how ?

I would like to be sure, before to buy that new release.

Regards.
Philippe.

YMESTAR
01-28-2003, 02:00 PM
Hi Philippe,

If you want to install these files to C:\windows\system on Win 98 and C:\winnt\system32 on NT,then you can achieve this by using the system variable [SystemFolder] in Express 4.0. [SystemFolder] will point to the proper system directory on different OS types.

If you want to install your sys and inf files in different directories, other than system folder, than you can Create separate features for each OS type files and set an OS condition on the feature. This is doable in Express 4.0.

Thanks
Neeru

efkefk
01-29-2003, 02:36 AM
Than you for you answer.

Yes, it is quiet easy for .sys files.
The problem is mainly for .inf files.

With Win98, the .inf files were installed in 'c\windows\inf\' folder.
With WinXP, I do not understand exactly how it works.
What I know is:
1 - to install an usb interface, you must supply one .sys file and one .inf file.
2 - impossible to find the .inf file on my XP computer, where the usb interface has been installed.
3 - so the installation software should be able to configure the pc, in order that, when we plug the usb interface for the first time, the operating system does not ask for any extra files and it automatically recognize the usb interface.

Like for instance a software installation for usb dsl modem.

But I am afraid InstallShield Express 4 is not able to do that !

Did somebody already use IE4 to install an usb interface ?

Regards.
Philippe.