PDA

View Full Version : add user and password into DSN

jeanluck
01-27-2003, 12:20 PM
I have added an odbc resource on my installshield project.
At the end of the installlation on the target system, this resource is not properly configured as it was on my developpement computer : the username "Ryan" and the password "raypass" are set to "SYSTEM" and "" on the target system.
How can configure DSN's user and password in my installshied project ?

Regards.

jeanluck

Chandima
01-27-2003, 03:45 PM
In the ODBC View, did you create new properties for this DSN and set their values? Or do you want these values to be set by information that you get during the setup (for example from stuff the user enters on the "Customer Information" dialog)?

jeanluck
01-28-2003, 03:50 AM
I need to create new properties for my DSN, But which property names are used ? when i use "user" for username and "passwd" for password, I have an errmsg 1919 during the installation process. Properties names depend on the Database type ?
I'm using MS Sql Serveur DSN.

Regards

jeanluck

Chandima
01-28-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm not too sure how SQL Server works. Try creating a new DSN on the machine itself (from ODBC Administrator) and setup a connection with user name and pasword. Once you have this setup, launch Express, go to the ODBC View. It should show this new DSN that you added. Does it have properties that correspond to the Username and Password you entered?

jeanluck
01-29-2003, 03:45 AM
At last, i solved the problem; i misunderstood the way a sql serveur ds should be configured !
thanks for your help.

---------------------------------------------------------------

ngnir1
03-02-2003, 10:04 AM
It would be very nice of u jeanluck to share youre solution with all of us.
I am faceing the same problem and i need to solve it urjently

Thanks in advacne
:cool:

jeanluck
03-03-2003, 04:14 AM
It is not necessary to add user and password during the creation of user / system DSN in Windows. In odbc administrator, this parameters are used for your testing your connection. So it is not necessary to add them as properties for your DSN in an installshield project.
But "user" and "password" for your odbc connection must be the parameters of your application. So your application must pass "user" and "password" to odbc DSN for making the connection to databases server.

Regards.

ngnir1
03-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Thank u very mach jeanluck for clarifying this subject.

code_monkey_75
07-21-2003, 09:58 AM
When I create an ODBC connection using "Windows NT authentication using the network login ID", the ODBC entry get configured fine. But, the databases that we use require a specific username and password. When I create an ODBC entry using "With SQL Server authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user", I get the 1919 error along with an option to abort, ignore, retry. The install completes if I select ignore, but does not configure the ODBC. I have tried to force the LastUser for the username, but what is the name, in the registry, for the password?

Chandima
07-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Error 1919 and 1918 usually pops up because there was some error with ODBC itself. Try installing MDAC 2.7 on this machine and rerun the setup. Does the error go away?

code_monkey_75
07-23-2003, 08:03 AM
I thought the same thing, so first I install mdac 2.7 then the jet, to handle an access database, then I install all files, then I try to configure ODBC. But, I still get the error. We support Access, MySQL, and MS SQL database platforms. I only get this error when dealing with MS SQL ODBC entries.

Chandima
07-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Have you tried (for the lack of other ideas) installing an instance of MSDE 2000 on this machine? I am sure that MSDE has a self sufficient install that will install all the drivers it needs?

code_monkey_75
07-24-2003, 07:33 AM
No, I haven't tried to include it into the install, but I have the MSDN installed on my pc. When I add the SQL ODBC entries into the project, I am browsing to the ODBC entries that I have setup on my pc, (that connects to the databases fine and allows me to use the program that I am installing), selecting them by checking the box to add the entry into my project. Then I compile the setup, remove the entries from my ODBC and run the setup. I have to be missing a step, I just can't figure it out.

Chandima
07-29-2003, 12:41 PM
but I have the MSDN
Did you mean MSDN or MSDE?

So you are testing on your development PC? If DSN works by itself on the PC then I don't see why it should fail during an install on the same PC. Sorry but I am really out of ideas here...

code_monkey_75
08-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Yes, sorry about that, the MSDE. I think I found the cause, but I can't get around it. The ODBC properties are showing a Database Destination. The error that I am getting is 1919 when trying to configure odbc because it is trying to associate the entry to a database that is in the INSTALLDIR. How do I remove the Database Destination from the DSN? I tried to add an entry manualy, not by checking the box and I still get the Database Destination option.

Chandima
08-13-2003, 06:01 PM
Are you distributing the database file with your setup? If so where are you installing it to? There maybe a way around this with Express. Please let me know because I have been waiting a long time to crack this 1919 error.

code_monkey_75
08-14-2003, 07:05 AM
No, the databases are distrubuted as .sql scripts that are run on the SQL Server, and not included in the setup.

Chandima
08-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Could you paste a screenshot of the ODBC Resources View of your project? Select the DSN you are including (so that I can see it's properties).

code_monkey_75
08-14-2003, 11:53 AM
I hope this helps.