PDA

View Full Version : Install a DLL in Global Assembly Cache

pmengal
01-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Hello,

In the Files menu, I add the directory [GLOBALASSEMBLYCACHE] and set a Project Primary Output. Resolved, this output is the .DLL that is Strong-Named.

I don't know why, it does not install it in the GAC. After install, it is not in the GAC.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

Pierre Mengal

Chandima
01-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Is this a valid .NET DLL?

If so:
1. Go to Files View
2. Right click on this file and select "Properties"
3. Select the "COM and .NET Settings" panel
4. Set the "Scan at Build" property to "Dependences and Properties"
5. Build and install

Does it get in to the GAC now?

pmengal
01-28-2003, 11:14 AM
No,

The strangest thing is that all of this is in the Allways Install part.

Do you have another solution ?

Chandima
01-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Are you sure this is a valid assembly file? Can you install it to the GAC manually using GacUtil?

pmengal
01-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Of course. The assembly is strong-named and I just verified with gacutil.exe /i

Any other idea ?

Chandima
01-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Strange. Could you send me this dll so that I can run a few tests on it? You can email me at chandimar@installshield.com. Thanks!

gmartin
05-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi,
I am having the same issue. The dll does install manually when I use the gacutil. The ".NET scan at build" is set to : Dependencies and Properties.

Please advice.
Thanks in advance.
G

Chandima
05-14-2003, 02:24 PM
In the Files View, have you added the file to the [GlobalAssemblyCache] folder?

gmartin
05-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi,
I got the issue resolved. Apparently, if you drag and drop the dll in from the "Specificy Application Data", "files" view, it works. I added the dll from the components view which might have caused a problem.

Thanks
G

Chandima
05-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Are you using InstallShield Developer? If so, then if adding the file in the Components view, you need to set the Destination property of the Component to [GlobalAssemblyCache] (by default it's set to INSTALLDIR).

JGabrieleHay
05-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Glad I read this. I had the same problem in InstallShield 2008. I had to manually alter the destination from [INSTALLDIR]. I don't remember seeing this anywhere in the help (perhaps is was just me). Now they register, and any interdependences are automatically tracked.

Thanks for the post.