PDA

View Full Version : Some Bugs

Malaidas
01-24-2003, 05:23 AM
I have recently upgraded from 3.53 to 4.0. Loading a version 3 file into version 4 and letting it convert the file into the new format has lead to a couple of issues that I feel people should be aware of.

1) My install options got rearranged so that the minimal installtion option was put on top and the full installtion was the second one down.

2) It decided to convert 2 of my start menu shortcuts to advertised shortcuts... Meaning that the links were not availiblle across networks cause it doesn't specify a path.

Stephen Whipp
Eastmond PUblishing Ltd. (UK)

Malaidas
01-24-2003, 05:27 AM
Appolygies for the typos people, I think I need to go back to typing lessons :)

Chandima
01-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Thanks for bring these up.

1. This is a known issue and I'm afraid there is no way around it. The bug is that the setup types are defined in this order in the 3.53 project even though showed up reversed in the view. This does not make any impact on the runtime behavior does it?

2. By default, Express 3.53 and early ONLY created advertised shortcuts. That's why they migrated to this form. Are you saying that the shortcut targets are empty (after the conversion) because they point to files with a UNC path?

Malaidas
01-27-2003, 06:06 AM
On the first issue, I'm afraid it did show up in the runtime behavior, This was the only reason I noticed it.

for the second I don't know much about advertised shortcuts I'm, afraid but what was observed is that
a) When viewing the properties of the shortcut no target was observed
b) When installing across a network, the shortcuts could not find their targets, But on the server there was no problem

I assumed the 2 were related but I'm not sure

I hope this helps

Stephen Whipp

Eastmond Publishing Ltd (UK)

Chandima
01-27-2003, 03:34 PM
1. I see. If the setup types are a problem, let me know and I can edit your ise file so that they will show up as they used to 3.53.

2. This is the expected behavior. There is no migration bug here. Express 3.53 creates advertised shortcuts (which show the symptoms you mentioned). To fix this, delete the shortcut and create a new shortcut.

Malaidas
01-28-2003, 03:13 AM
I've fixed it, but thanks anyway :)

I just thought I'd mention that it hadn't converted properly

Stephen Whipp
Eastmond Publishing Ltd (UK)