PDA

View Full Version : Retaining serial number after patching?

arkadi17
01-23-2003, 06:29 PM
HI,

I created an installation which uses a serial number validation dll. The resulting serial number is written to the registry during the installation. My problem is this: When I create a patch it erases the serial number that was previously in the registry. Is there a way to retain the serial number while using the quickpatch?

Thanks,

Arkadi

Neeru
01-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Hello,

Are you updating the same registry key in your patch again? If not, then this should not happen.

Are you creating this registry key from the setup or your DLL?
If the registry key is being created by the setup, then what is the variable being used to populate the Serial Number in the registry?

Please get back to me with the above to get to the core of the issue.

Thanks
Neeru

arkadi17
01-23-2003, 07:28 PM
When I created the patch it defaulted to putting all of the registry keys that were in the original install into the bottom window in the registry view. The only option I saw was to either delete or rename any of the keys, or modify the key values. I did not make any changes to the registry keys in the patch.

The original install used my DLL for validation only. It does not write any registry values, it only returns a value (100) if the user entered the correct number. The serial number then gets put into the installshield variable ISX_SERIALNUM.

When I create a patch to this install, since there is never an opportunity to enter a serial number (which is good since I don't want them to have to re-enter it), the serial number variable seems to get blanked out.

Only the User Name in the registry gets retained after the patch, CompanyName and Serial are both blank.

Also, if this helps the original project was created in ISX3.5 and it was upgraded to v4.

I guess I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks,

Arkadi

arkadi17
01-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Well apparently for some reason the patch is resetting all of my original registry values that were in the original install. I created some keys for my application's window positioning and the patch is resetting all of those keys also. So it seems to be overwriting using all of the original registry values. I guess the UserName field is automatically populated so it is the only thing that appeared to be retained, even though I think it was overwritten also.

So it seems that the patch is updating all of the registry values, and I don't know why since I did not make any changes to them.

Thanks for any help,

Arkadi

Neeru
01-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Hello,

In the origianl setup, IS_SERIALNUM property was being set to the serial number that users provided in the CustomerInformation dialog. Since the property IS_SERIALNUM does not retain that value during a patch, it is getting reset. One work around would be to open the patch project and remove this IS_SERIALNUM registry key entirely to see if that helps. This way, the patch will not attempt to write to this key at all.

Thanks
Neeru