PDA

View Full Version : Application Start - MSIInstaller Looking For Component Agent.exe

T.J. Regan
01-23-2003, 08:26 AM
There's a system that's giving me a start up problem involving Agent.Exe. The system is Win2K, SP3, IE 6.1, 256 RAM.

The application installs the Update components, and update works fine when called from my app.

The problem is that every time I start the application, I get a "Preparing to install...." dialog, then a "Please wait while Windows configures...." dialog, then the app starts & runs.

The event log shows two Application errors when the app starts:

1) MSIInstaller Event ID 1001: "Detection of product <Product Guid> feature 'Default Program' failed during request for component <Component Guid>".
Using ORCA, I found that the component guid it's looking for is the Component Guid of Agent.exe in the Component table.

2) MSIInstaller Event ID 1001: "Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80004001".

Agent.exe is installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService. The directory is set to full access security-wise.

I have compared Agent.exe registry settings for the problem machine and a working machine. They are the same.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times, removed all registry and directory traces of Agent.exe, the application, the <WinDir>Downloaded Installations directory, and the problem still occurs.

Any ideas on what the installer is doing, and why it cannot do it?

Thanks.