PDA

View Full Version : Executing program after install with BDE

jbrody
01-21-2003, 01:43 PM
I am trying to execute a program that uses the BDE after installation, but my program crashes (although it runs fine if I run it from the Explorer later). I assume this is because the BDE hasn't completed it's configuration yet, but can't think of any way to test or fix this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Jeff Brody

Chandima
01-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Are you running your program as a Custom Action after "Setup Complete Success" dialog?
Does it crash your program or does it crash the Setup? If it crashes the setup, try setting the custom action's "Ignore Return Value" property to "Yes".

jbrody
01-21-2003, 05:51 PM
It gave me an MSIE error until I included it with the installation (Source Location = Installed with the Product rather than Browse File System), now it crashes my program. I put in a debugging message just before my first database access, which displays, and one just after, and it crashes before the second one.

Chandima
01-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Try logging the install. From the command line type:

Setup.exe /v"/lv C:\InstallLog.txt"

This will tell us whether the BDE module is launching any actions AFTER your custom action is run. This (as you mentioned earlier) sounds like BDE is setting up something just before the setup ends. We SHOULD be able to verify this by looking at the log.

jbrody
01-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Well, looking at the log and more breakpoints in my program helped muddy the problem considerably. I am attaching the logfile. My program successfully opens a Data Module using the BDE, so it looks like that's not the problem. It is crashing when I try to open a frame on my form (I don't suppose you're familiar with Builder programming?); I can't figure out why doing this during installation would be bad, but doing it right after the installation is complete is fine. Is it possible that there are thread issues involved?

Again, thanks for your help!
Jeff

Chandima
01-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Your Custom Action is AdminSetup right? If so, nothing seems to be launching after this Custom Action launches. I was hoping the BDE module was sneaking in an action or two after that but it'snot the case. What happens if you set the "Wait for Action" property of the custom action to "No"? If the setup is somehow locking a file your program needs, setting this property will close the setup as soon as your program launches. Hopefully by the time it reaches the place it usually crashes, the setup has released whatever it was locking.

jbrody
01-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Bingo!

Installshield must have had something locked while it was waiting for Admsetup to finish, which was interfering with operations. Changing it to don't wait let my program proceed as normal.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff