PDA

View Full Version : launch an "exe" file

jeanluck
01-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi,
Is it possible to use installshield express 4 to launch another "exe" (like wab.exe) file during one installation process ?

Regards,

jeanluck

Chandima
01-21-2003, 03:33 PM
1. Put the Wab.exe in the "English" node of Setup Files View
2. Create an Exe Custom Action
3. Set it's "Source Location" to "File exists on target machine"
4. Set folder property to "[SUPPORTDIR]"
5. Set the File name property to "Wab.exe"
6. Build and install

Wab.exe will be deleted after the setup completes (this is the way anything in the Setup Files View behaves).

jeanluck
01-22-2003, 11:18 AM
is it possible to launch an interactive "exe" file ?
getting the returned values ?
Regards,

jeanluck

Chandima
01-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Do you mean whether you can launch a Custom Action and tell the setup to wait till you are finished with the Exe that's launched? If so, this is possible. Just set the Custom Action's "Wait for Action" property to "Yes".

jeanluck
01-22-2003, 11:41 AM
not exactly,
i want to launch a custom action, and tell to setup to wait this action and passed him successives values ;
After each action, the setup must wait the "exe" response and passed him the properly values !
is it possible ?

regards

jeanluck

Chandima
01-22-2003, 05:36 PM
So you mean something like:

- You have a Setup that has two Custom Actions named CA1 and CA2
- When you run the Setup CA1 launches
- You want the setup to wait until CA1 finishes
- Then you want the setup to get the return value of CA1 and pass it to CA2

Is this correct? If so I'm afraid this is not possible.

If these actions are DLLs, then you could try using "New Style DLL" custom actions. You can get the DLL that CA1 uses to store it's return value in a property using MsiSetProperty and pass thi property as an argument to CA2. Rather tricky...

jeanluck
01-23-2003, 08:44 AM
I mean something like :

I have a setup that has one custom action named CA ;
- when i run setup, CA launches ;
- during his execution, CA need (yes/no) value to continue ;

So, CA states are : run - waiting (a value)- run ;

is it possible to detect CA waiting state ?

Regards

jeanluck

Chandima
01-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Have you tried this already? It should work. The Setup will stay without continuing until the Custom Action actually closes. Suppose you run Notepad.exe as a Custom Action. When this launches Notepad, you can type in whatever you want, save the document, create new documents, and so on and the setup will still remain without continuing. Once you finally close Notepad.exe the setup will continue. This is similar to what you are trying to do right?