PDA

View Full Version : Create Merge Module with Orca, Set Directories from Registry

jwormsley
01-21-2003, 12:05 PM
I need to do something that should be somewhat simple, but am having trouble figuring it out.

I have several programs that need to be installed in such a way that their own data is stored in one location, and data they share is stored in locations in such a way that all can find it. For this, I need a structure something like this:

[CommonAppDataFolder]\Company
[CommonAppDataFolder]\Company\Common
[CommonAppDataFolder]\Company\Common\Share1
[CommonAppDataFolder]\Company\Common\Share2
[CommonAppDataFolder]\Company\Product1
[CommonAppDataFolder]\Company\Product2
[CommonAppDataFolder]\Company\Product3

The first thing I would like is a simple merge module to set create these folders and store the locations in the registry. No files or anything, just the folders and registry entries. Since Express can't create a merge module, does anyone know how to do this with Orca 2? That way I can avoid errors in each product by just creating the merge module once and including it in each other product.

There is another issue as well. Any Product can be installed independantly, or in any combination. Thus, the location the installer picks to put this data can be set by any of the prodict install packages. I would prefer if once the first product was installed, any subsequent ones would default to the values from the first, rather than the normal default listed above. The locations of these folders would be in the registry from the first program installed. Do I have to write a VBScript to read these and adjust [DATABASEDIR]?

Lastly, is there any way to create any other "variable" like [INSTALLDIR] and [DATABASEDIR] that the user can set? I would really like to have a [COMMONDATABASEDIR] or something like that. This way the user could pick the location of all three major components of my app.

Chandima
01-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Putting this together in just ORCA could be daunting. Do you have Visual Studio? If so you could use the Package Deployment Wizard to create the merge module.