PDA

View Full Version : Problems with shortcuts

SilverX5
01-20-2003, 04:46 PM
When I try to create a shortcut in Express v4.0, the first shortcut is there and I can view the Description, Target files, icon, etc. But if I create a second (or subsequent) shortcuts, it only defaults to whatever is shown on the first shortcut.

I am using Express v.40 with Windows XP SP1.

Thanks for your help!

Chandima
01-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Are the shortcuts pointing at the same file?
Is this an upgraded project?
What happens if you change the properties of the second or third shortcut? Does it revert back to the original values when you re-open the project?

SilverX5
01-27-2003, 03:29 PM
No, these shortcuts point to different files.

Chandima
01-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Interesting. Please send me your .ise file to chandimar@installshield.com so that I can take a look. Thanks!

SilverX5
01-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Actually, I was able to fix this. If the shortcut is pointing to a file whose name does NOT have spaces/blanks in it, it works fine. If the file name contains spaces/blanks in it, the shortcut does NOT work.

Thanks for your help.

Chandima
01-27-2003, 04:05 PM
I was not able to reproduce this. It should work regardless of the file's name.

What is the name of the file it points at?
Is this an Advertised or Normal shortcut?

SilverX5
01-27-2003, 04:09 PM
I had two shorcuts, one called "APP" which points to an Access MDE file (app.mde). The other shortcut was called "APP User's Guide" and pointed to "APP User's Guide.pdf". When I created the second shortcut, it let me create a shortcut (w/ empty Description, etc.) and if I clicked on the 1st shortcut and clicked back on the 2nd shortcut, the 2nd is showing whatever was entered for the 1st shortcut.

When I renamed the filename of the 2nd shortcut to "APP_Users_Guide.pdf", the shortcut works fine.

Strange, huh?

Chandima
01-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Now I see. The problem is actually with the apostrophe (') in the file name of "APP User's Guide.pdf". You won't see this if you drop the apostrophe from the file name. The MSI file is a SQL based database so the apostrophe has special meaning in it. I'm creating a Work Order asking for better handling of this type of scenario. Thanks for bringing this up!