PDA

View Full Version : Jet SP6 MM on Windows XP

jverbruggen
01-20-2003, 04:39 PM
I included the new (SP6) merge module JET40.msm in my setup.
It appears that the service pack won't install on a Windows XP (home) machine, dutch version.
Does anyone know if the XP SP only install on EN-US machines ?
When I look on the Microsoft website there are different versions for several languages, which is not the case with the other OS's.

If this is the case, how can we install SP6 on non EN-US machines ?

Regards,
Jeroen

Chandima
01-20-2003, 06:32 PM
The merge module is the English one and runs the English redists. That's why it is failing on the non-English machine. You can make it use the non-english redistributables by editing the msm file's binary table using ORCA.

jverbruggen
01-21-2003, 06:47 AM
I thought of that. One problem is that there might users with non-dutch versions of XP.
They only solution for them is to update manually or create a setup for every possible language.

One question. I just try to understand what are the limitations of using different language versions of f.e. ADO and Jet on the different Windows OS's. I did seem to be no problem with Windows 9.x, Me and 2000.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Jeroen

Chandima
01-21-2003, 03:19 PM
It depends from redist to redist. For example let's take the MDAC redist. The English module is hardcoded to install files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\... On a German machine this should be C:\Programme\Gesta...

So the redist basically creates an english folder and puts files in there. I don't think that's a good thing :).