PDA

View Full Version : INSTALLDIR and DATABASEDIR

SilverX5
01-20-2003, 04:36 PM
If I set the value of the DATABASEDIR variable the same as INSTALLDIR in the General Information section, the DATABASEDIR variable cannot be accessed in the Files section. In fact, it's no longer there.

This used to work in Express v3.5x where I can select the INSTALLDIR or DATABASEDIR in the Files section.

Please help!

Chandima
01-20-2003, 06:28 PM
I am able to reproduce this. Is there any particular reason you want both INSTALLDIR and DATABASEDIR to point to the same location? Since both variables reference the same location what advantage would you have?

SilverX5
01-27-2003, 03:34 PM
The reason that I have both DATABASEDIR and INSTALLDIR pointint to the same directory because I want to provide our users the ability to choose to install the Client or Server modules of the app. If the client chooses to install the Server, then all Server modules will be installed using whatever they specified for the INSTALLDIR. If client chooses to install the Client modules, then I ask them to specify the location of the Server modules and save that location in the DATABASEDIR variable. The setup file then creates a registry setting pointing to whatever value is in the DATABASEDIR.

Do you know of a workaround? Thx!

Chandima
01-27-2003, 04:00 PM
I see. How do you ask the user whether he wants to install the Server or Client? You could do this using Setup Types.

1. Go to Features View
2. Create a root level feature and name it "ClientFeature"
3. Create another root level feature and name it "ServerFeature"
4. Go to Setup Types View
5. Deselect the "Custom" Setup Type
6. Select "Typical" and associate just "ClientFeature" with it
7. Select "Minimal" and associate just "ServerFeature" with it
8. Rename "Typical" to "Client"
9. Rename "Minimal" to "Server"
10. Go to Files View
11. Select "ClientFeature" from the drop down at the top of the view
12. Add the Client modules to INSTALLDIR
13. Select "ServerFeature" from the drop down
14. Add the Server modules to INSTALLDIR
15 Build and Install

If you select the "Server" setup type only the Server modules get installer, if you select "Client" setu type only the client modules get installed.

SilverX5
01-28-2003, 04:46 PM
This won't work because when the user chooses the Client option, I will display the Database dialog box and ask him to specify the location of the server components. I then save this location to the DATABASEDIR variable and use it to create a registry setting.

Chandima
01-30-2003, 12:44 PM
I see what you're saying. Well, have yo tried cheating?

1. Go to General Information View
2. Set INSTALLDIR and DATABASEDIR to different folder
3. Go to Files View and add files to INSTALLDIR and DATABASEDIR
4. Go to General Information View
5. Set INSTALDIR and DATABASEDIR to the same value
6. Build and Install

Does this work?

SilverX5
01-30-2003, 01:41 PM
No, I haven't tried that yet. But thanks for making a suggestion because I will try it right now :)