PDA

View Full Version : Custom Actions, Registy Syntax?

Drixer
01-17-2003, 02:05 PM
I am unable to get the condition I created to find a registry key. What I have done is created a condition to search for the existance of a key, i.e. HKCU\Software\Microsoft so in the 'System Search Wizard' within ISE I set the 'Registry Root:' value to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and I set the 'Registry Key:' value to Software\Microsoft. I set the condition to respond if the key is found. I know the key exists, yet the condition is never met within ISE :confused:. I should also mention that I have tried setting the 'Registry Key:' value to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft as well. My question is, what am I doing wrong, do I need to change the syntax? I am just launching a program if condition is true

Chandima
01-17-2003, 04:11 PM
This is most probably a Windows Installer limitation. Since you haven't specified anything for the "Registry Value" field, I am assuming that it's expecting something in that key's default value. Try entering a value for this key's default value and then run the setup again. Does the condition behave differently?

Drixer
01-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Chandima. I have just added a value that is contained within the key and that has fixed it. I just assumed that because the 'Registry Value' field was marked as optional that it would not be needed.

Chandima
01-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Actually, if you leave the 'Registry Value' field empty, it then looks in the key's default value for a value. So if the key's default value is empty as well (or not set), I think the search fails. This is the way Windows Installer behaves. Just wanted to clarify that.