PDA

View Full Version : Install/Operation Problem With IS Express 4.0

WHerbert
01-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Seemingly got the I/S Express 4.0 upgrade installed without problems. However, everytime I attempt to access help as follows:

a) Click on Help in menu
b) Click on Help view
c) Windows installers programmers reference

one of two things happens.

a) I get a message that says an error has occurred and I/S needs to close. This happens so fast that I cannot read the rest of the pop up window.

b) The window that opens for help simply hangs... using task manager to end the hung window causes the entire I/S app to close.

The I/S help does work without problem.

???

Thanks

Thanks

Chandima
01-16-2003, 04:26 PM
This should work (first time I heard this).

1. What operating system is Express installed on?
2. What version of Internet Explorer do you have?
3. Do you ever get stack dump? If so could you post it here?
4. Look where the Express executable is. Is there a file named iside.log? If so please post it's contents here.

WHerbert
01-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Windows NT 4.0, SP 6a

Explorer 6.0.2800.1106

I should note that I have reinstalled both Explorer and Installshield in that order because after the original installation, when this error occurred, it killed all my explorer windows as well.

No dumps that I am aware of.

Contents of iside.log below. However, note that file date is 1/10/03. I just tried it again today and file date did not change

D:\BldRoot\source\src\IsWsCustomActions\CustomActionsTree.cpp 565: Unknown error
D:\BldRoot\source\src\IsWsCustomActions\CustomActionsTree.cpp 565: Unknown error
D:\BldRoot\source\src\IsWsAppSearch\SaveFilePage.cpp 232: 1627: Error modifying record
D:\BldRoot\source\src\IsWsAppSearch\SaveFilePage.cpp 232: 1627: Error modifying record

WHerbert
01-17-2003, 03:38 PM
let me add that the minute you asked about Internet Explorer... there is something not right about my install... downloaded the latest version... had to due to a scripting error which I fixed per MS instructions... but since then, it behaves strangely from time to time... like locking up on web pages that apparently have some kind of script... a reboot and all is well again. Dang!

Chandima
01-17-2003, 04:20 PM
This could be Internet Explorer related. I remember I while ago I had the same problem but it wouldn't let me launch even the Express help. Also was getting lots of crashes on IE 6. Still have no idea why that was. I must admit that was also (coincidence?) an NT machine with IE 6. Now I have a Win2K and no headaches.

Can you repair Internet Explorer from Add/Remove Programs?

WHerbert
01-17-2003, 05:08 PM
I've done the repair gig. I've done the entire reinstall gig. I've removed all extra addons like quicktime and done it again. The only thing I haven't done is deinstall to a previous version because the last time I did that it was a nightmare to get things working again.

I may upgrade the O/S instead... whoda thunk that an O/S upgrade would be less painful?