PDA

View Full Version : Give User "Everyone" Permissions to INSTALLDIR

DanaMouritzen
01-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Our application is a MS Access .ade file. When a user launches this application Access modifies the file. Also, we create a temporary file in the INSTALLDIR that gets deleted when the app is closed. Therefore our installation process must give users read and write permissions to the INSTALLDIR folder and files within the folder. Based on an entry in the MSI Help Library called "LockPermissions Table" I tried to apply permissions to the INSTALLDIR to the user [%USERDOMAN], Everyone. But when I run the installation I get error 1609. User DANASNB\Everyone is not a valid user or group. My PC is W2k Server, running standalone. I get the same error on a standalong W2k Pro PC.

Any suggestions?

Dana

Chandima
01-15-2003, 01:17 PM
After fooling around with this I found the workaround. When setting permissions for Groups (Users, Power Users, Administrators, etc) set the "Domain" value to empty and the "User" to "Everyone" (in your case). By default the Domain will resolve to the local machine.

DanaMouritzen
01-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks! That worked.

Another question.

What is the best practice regarding including MSI engines? Are they generally always included?

Just trying to minimize the size of the install. All of our customers download the install and updates from our website.

Dana

Chandima
01-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Windows 2K, ME and XP come with Windows Installer pre-installed. However 2K and ME have older versions. Windows 95, 98 and NT do not have the engine by default so it's safe to distribute the redists with setups on those machinces.

Additionally, since you are using the web, you can create a WebDeployment Media type that downloads the msi engines. This way your package will be smaller, and the engines will be downloaded ONLY if the latest version is required.

DanaMouritzen
01-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Thank You!