PDA

View Full Version : Setup automatically start when you execute a program

DiegoC
01-13-2003, 03:54 PM
I have successfully build my setup and install my application, and I can use almost all the programs of my application correctly. However, when I run an specific program of my application the setup automatically start and I have to cancel it before I can use this program. This happen every time I try to use this specific program.

Chandima
01-13-2003, 04:59 PM
While running your program, do any registry entries change or folders or files change? This is happening because when you launch the application, the Windows Installer detects that something has changed since you installed the program. It then goes and "repairs" the change.

Manually create a shortcut to this exe on the machine. Does launching this manual shortcut cause this problem?

DiegoC
01-14-2003, 10:41 AM
I do not think that it is a problem with a change in the registry.

I look the event viewer of Win 2K and I realise that the problem happend because a component try to access a folder that does not exists (I think it was a component of Crystal Reports). This folder corresponds to the DATABASEDIR (I do not use this folder to put any file, but it is by default in my .ise project).
I edit the .mdi file with Orca and I change this folder in the component that produces the problem for another folder that was used in others components.
After that I install my application again and the problem was solved.

My question is, why is this happening and if can solve the problem in the .ise projet in order to avoid editing the .mdi file each time I build my project for a new release.

Thank you very much

Diego

Chandima
01-14-2003, 11:21 AM
In the General Information view, what had you originally set the value of DATABASEDIR to?

DiegoC
01-14-2003, 12:27 PM
I let the default value that is [INSTALLDIR]Database.

I set the INSTALLDIR folder and all his sub folders work correctly, but the Database folder does not exists.

Chandima
01-15-2003, 10:56 AM
That's what's causing the problem. Please send me your .ise file to chandimar@installshield.com so that I can take a look at it and hopefully fix it. Thanks!