PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from Registry

GeorgeTucker
01-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I have upgraded from version 2.13 and then 3.5 to Express 4. When my users do a Repair, they lose the Database Directory and the Serial number (both are stored in the Registry using the keys from version 2.X). Is there a way to read the registry entries and preload the Databse Directory and the Serial Number values on a repair or an update?

Chandima
01-10-2003, 06:16 PM
This is because those registry entries were defined during the install and were stored in two variables and then written to the registry. When you perform a Repair since these variables are not re-initialized they are empty and replace the current registry values with empty ones. We found this is our Express 4.0 setup as well :o.

To fix this we can tell Windows Installer NOT to replace registry values during a repair. Try repairing after installing the setup with the following command lines:

Setup.exe /v"REINSTALLMODE=oms"

or

Setup.exe /v"REINSTALLMODE=ous"

Let me know if either one works.

GeorgeTucker
01-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Using Install Express 4, I tried both of your suggestions. Unfortunately, neither one worked. When I used the "oms" setting, the registry values were overwritten just like they were before. When I used the "ous" setting and clicked on Repair, I got the following error message:
This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Any more suggestions?

Chandima
01-15-2003, 04:12 PM
That approach didn't work for our Express 4.0 setup either. Sorry but I am out of ideas for now :(.

Berend
08-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Have you ever founf a solution to this problem? It is a serious one. I also write a key to the registry for the datadirectory of an app. If users change this path then the new information in the registry is overwritten with a new instaal or update.

GeorgeTucker
08-14-2003, 08:51 AM
All I have been able to do with this was to disable the Repair selection in the install routine. My users have to reinstall and re-enter the database directory (not really a problem, since most use the default) and the serial number.