PDA

View Full Version : Allow for all users

mathprof
01-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Here's an e-mail that I got from someone who is using my software:Math911. I have installed Math911 on many times on standalones but never with a netwok. I therefore am a bit confused with his message.

In particular, in his email, he says "I did choose the option that this program will be used by all users for this computer."

I have never received this option during any of my installs. Is this
option popping up because he is using my Installshield setup on a network? What should I tell him to do?
The machine I am using is running Service Pack 3 for Windows 2000.

The problem I'm having is with the installation. I installed the software under our administrator account for our network and the install went fine.

The program works fine for myself under this account. During the install, I did choose the option that this program will be used by all users for this computer.

When logging in under a standard user, I receive a error message telling me that Math911.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. I also trying make that user a local administrator and the same message came up.

I ran the installer again under a different user and it worked then. I'm wondering if there is a way to make the program work for all users. As far as I can tell, the program will not
make the proper updates to the registry for the current_user. Can you please give me some direction on this issue.

Thanks !

Prof Martin Weissman

Chandima
01-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Hmm. The option the user is referring to is the option that comes up in the "Customer Information" dialog (shows only on NT based machines).

My guess is that your exe is crashing because it can't access a file or reg entry needs. Look at your Registry View. Are you installing entries to HKCU? If you are try giving him a setup where all these keys are in HLEY_USER_SELECTABLE instead. This way, if someone installs to the current profile only, these keys go to HKCU, and if to All Users, they go to HKLM.

stevechapman
01-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Chandima,
Is it possible with ISExpress to modify the settings that would appear in HKCU for all users. I know that regedit only lets you see the currently logged in user and put settings in for that user.

My problem is that most people need to have an administrator log in on the machine to run an install because the actual user doesn't have the rights to do so. This means that any registry changes I intend to make to HKCU would only be under the admin login and contained in the admin.dat file. What I really want is to be able to log in as admin, run the install, and set registry keys in the HKCU section of all users on the machine.

I know I could put it into HKLM and have the software look there, but the programmers insist these are user settings, not system settings. Are there other tools that allow us to find names of all users installed and make the change to each of them?

I also assume that if I put these changes into HKEY_USERS .DEFAULT that any new users added will get the settings I intend. But I still can't set anything for anyone but the admin without using HKLM.
thanks for any input
stevec

mathprof
01-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Hi to both of you,
Please help me. Right now I see NOTHING when I check Registry View. Reason is, I put nothing in it so far !!
#1 What should I put in Registry View?
#2 Where in the Registry View?
#3 HOW do I put it in RV?
#4 Will this interfere with the Registry of a user using the program as a standalone?
Prof Weissman