PDA

View Full Version : MSDE install error 1606

hidatch
01-09-2003, 06:34 PM
I have created an install which includes the MSDE 2000 merge module. The installation builds just fine, but when I go to install it, some machines come up with an "Error 1606. Could not access network location MSSQL\." I have checked all my paths, and there doesn't seem to be any problems there. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the MSDE merge modules to no avail. I did all my testing on a Windows 2000 server and this machine had no problems, but when I then tries to install my application on other machines, that is when I ran into this error. Any ideas?

Thanks
Craig Huizenga

Chandima
01-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Please send me your .ise file to chandimar@installshield.com. It sounds like there is a stray property lying around in your project. Thanks!

Neeru
01-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Hello,

We have an Error Document on Error 1606, which should help with the issue. Please take a look at article Q107104 (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=CLASS350XEE&articleid=Q107104) for more information. This article applies to both Express 3.x and 4.x.

Thanks
Neeru

hidatch
01-10-2003, 07:33 PM
I have figured the problem out. When attaching the MSDE merge modules, I specified [INSTALLDIR] as the location of the Sql Server data directory. On my Win2k Server machine, this appears to resolve correctly and MSDE installs happy; however on the Win2K Workstation machines, the [INSTALLDIR] does not appear to get resolved before MSDE checks its install paths, and thus the MSDE data directory resolves to MSSQL/, which it tries to resolve as a network location. I have fixed this by hard coding the path for MSDE for now, however, it would be nice to dynamically specify it in the future.

darkrider
05-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Yes, having same problem and resolving same way. although really would be much better to be able specify it dynamic! :eek:

Chandima
05-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Once again, this is a limitation of the MSDE 2000 merge modules. When Microsoft authored these, the put the custom action that gets the path to where you want put SQL, before any windows installer properties like INSTALLDIR, ProgramFilesFolder, WindowsFolder, etc, etc get resolved.

If you can figure out which custom action does this, and move it below FileCost it might start working. This is just a theory and NOT something I have actually tried. Just FYI.

darkrider
05-18-2003, 02:21 PM
I replaced INSTALLDIR with ProgramFilesFolder and it seems to work ok. Thanks.

JohnHamersley
07-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Hello All

I'm having this problem, but have arrived at it a different way. I had a perfectly good installation (installing MSDE 2000 happily) until I ran the Slammer SP3 upgrade, when I started to encounter the problem. I now notce that when I attempt to configure the MSDE 2000 object, the "customise SQL Server database location" and "customize desktop engine exectable modules location" are both ticked. When unticked and the wizard completed, going back to this shows the tick boxes as ticked again.

I've tried a number of things: hardcoding the database location in the general information section, hardcoding the the MSDE setup wizard and adn I still get the error. This is quite a problem for me and I need a resolution. Help!!!

Chandima
07-22-2003, 02:20 PM
This seems like some bizzare upgrade issue. JohnHamersley already sent me the file and the problem has been corrected. If anyone else runs in to this problem just email me at chandimar@installshield.com. Thanks!

v4herman
02-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Chandima,
I’m experiencing the same issue all are experiencing with this merge module. I've double checked registry entries on the target machine, I've double-checked variables on the install before I built and rebuilt it as well.

Is it possible to send me instructions on how to fix this problem myself? I'll most likely be creating other installs with this MSDE2000 merge module and it will stretch development time quite a bit to send you the project everytime I want to include this merge module.