PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts with MS Access 2000 Runtime

graeme jardin
01-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi,

I want to set up a shortcut that includes the path to the MS Access 2000 exe file (where ever it has been installed), with the name of the .mde file that I have installed as an argument.

I am new to Install Shield and have been trying to understand merge files, but so far have only produced a tired brain.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Graeme.

Chandima
01-09-2003, 12:26 PM
You are using Express 4.0 right? If so try the following:

1. Go to Requirements View
2. Right click and launch the new software requirement wizard
3. Press Next
4. Select "Folder path, by searching for a specific file in all drives" and Press Next5. Configure as follows:

File Name: MsAccess.exe
Number of Sub Folder levels to search: 10

6. Press Next
7. Press Finish -> This should create a new node named "MSACCESS" with a green check mark
8. Click on the check box till it comes to the "empty box" state
9. Go to Shortcuts View
10. Create a new "Shortcut to a Pre-existing file". This will launch a dialog
12. In this dialog, create a root level folder named "MyTest". Set it's "Directory Identifier" property to "MSACCESS". Set the "File Name" to "Msaccess.exe". Press OK.
13. Put the path to your mdb file in the "Arguments" column
14. Build and install

graeme jardin
01-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks Chandima,

That works. It also manages to find the correct access runtime version of access (I also have 97 and XP installed on my PC).

Is it intelligent enough to always find the version that was just installed or is there a danger that it may find the wrong version of msaccess.exe and put a link to that?

Graeme.

Chandima
01-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Currently it just performs a search and uses the first msaccess.exe it comes across. I doubt there will be more than one file on any system though. If you want the search to pick out one particular version of the file:
2. Right click on the MSACCESS search and select "Modify"
3. Press Next
4. Press the "Details" button and configure

matthias
01-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi,

i woud like to create a shortcut with Access RT but how can i store some Informations like workgroup and *.mdw - location and Path to my target *.mdb?

Chandima
01-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Can't you specify all of these in the Shortcut's "Arguments" property?

Vyskol
08-20-2003, 10:01 AM
I've followed the above directions (numerous times) and everything installs fine, and the shortcuts get created. But, the shortcuts all point to C:\MyTest\msaccess.exe. :confused:

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
~V

Vyskol
08-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Bump.

Somebody please take a look at this. I really need to get these shortcuts working.

Thanks,
~V

Chandima
08-25-2003, 08:34 PM
As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, the setup will pick the first msaccess.exe it finds. If you have msaccess.exe in C:\MyTest before you run the setup, this is the file that system search will find, and so all shortcuts will point at it.

Vyskol
08-26-2003, 07:36 AM
That's the problem. C:\MyTest doesn't exist on the computer. The shortcut is pointing to a file (C:\MyTest\msaccess.exe) that doesn't exist.

MyTest is the name of the folder created under the Shortcuts/Folders section, given the Directory identifier of MSACCESS to match the node created under the Requirements section.

I don't mean to be a pain, or obtuse, but I'm really at the end of my rope here. If I can't get this to work, I'll have to use the Package and Deployment wizard with all its Version Conflict errors (*shudder*).

Thanks,
Vyskol

Vyskol
08-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Okay, I've solved the problem! I'll post here in case anybody else has as much difficulty spotting the obvious as I do.

The reason the shortcuts were pointing to C:\MyTest\msaccess.exe is because an msaccess.exe meeting my criteria couldn't be found. My criteria was no good.

Despite the embarassment it'll case me, I'll let you know what I did wrong so anybody reading this after can possibly save themselves that same embarassment and frustration.

Had:
Min Version: 9 Max Version: 9
Changed to:
Min Versioin: 9.0.0.0000 Max Version: 9.0.0.9999
Problem:
Min version is an exclusive value. The search looks for a version GREATER than the criteria given. NOT greater then or equal to. I also suspect the format of the version number could cause problems.

Had:
Min File Size: 0 Max File Size: 999999
Changed to:
Min File Size: 1 Max File Size: 9999999
Problem:
File size is in bytes. My msaccess.exe is over 4 meg in size. That's more than 4,000,000 bytes. (I know 1 meg != 1000000 bytes, but you get the point). I'm not sure if the 0 could cause problems, but I figure it can't hurt to change it to 1.

Anyway, I hope this info is useful to somebody. Thanks for all your help Chandima.

~V

Chandima
09-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the helpful pointers Vyskol! Don't feel bad. Windows Installer does this sort of thing to everyone. The lesson here (for anybody reading this) is to ALWAYS use version numbers as reccomended in the Windows Installer help. That is:

major.minor.build

From personal experience, I really don't think the file size matters. I hardly ever use it (in a search) because I think the version number alone is good enough to tell the difference of one commercially released file from another (could be wrong there though :)).

Vyskol
09-10-2003, 08:22 AM
I tried leaving the file size criteria blank, but InstallShield wouldn't let me continue without entering a value. So I just entered a large enough range that it wouldn't matter. Of course, my initial range turned out to not be large enough. ;)

AnnaMu
04-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi Chandima,

I just tried out your advice how to create a shortcut to MSAccess.exe as given below.

It works fine except that in the command-line I got:

c:\programme\microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe\msaccess.exe

Therefore, in contrast to your suggestion in step 12, I did not enter the filename msaccess.exe. Then it worked and I got:

c:\programme\microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe

Now, is my ISE4.0 working differently then yours or do I miss something.

Anna

Originally posted by Chandima
You are using Express 4.0 right? If so try the following:

2. Right click and launch the new software requirement wizard
3. Press Next
4. Select "Folder path, by searching for a specific file in all drives" and Press Next5. Configure as follows:

File Name: MsAccess.exe
Number of Sub Folder levels to search: 10

6. Press Next
7. Press Finish -> This should create a new node named "MSACCESS" with a green check mark
8. Click on the check box till it comes to the "empty box" state
9. Go to Shortcuts View
10. Create a new "Shortcut to a Pre-existing file". This will launch a dialog
12. In this dialog, create a root level folder named "MyTest". Set it's "Directory Identifier" property to "MSACCESS". Set the "File Name" to "Msaccess.exe". Press OK.
13. Put the path to your mdb file in the "Arguments" column
14. Build and install msaccess.exe\msaccess.exe msaccess.exe

Vyskol
05-25-2004, 01:48 PM
But not w98 or XP with XP.

From our bug tracker:

"Have run the install on a W98 system. For either one, the install program does not attempt to install the Access 2000 runtime library.

On a Windows XP machine with Access XP, the runtime is installed, but the shortcut points to the wrong place ('C:\MyTest\msaccess.exe'). When the shortcut is clicked on in XP, Windows will search and find msaccess.exe and allow you to repair the shortcut and run the program."

Any thoughts or suggestions?

~Vyskol