PDA

View Full Version : File in Use Error running from Demoshield

Mattw54601
01-08-2003, 09:29 PM
I've got an install (setup.exe created in InstallShield 4.0) that is launched from an action in demoshield 7. Because I need control to return back to demoshield after the install, I cannot choose the option in demoshield to exit demoshield before running the installl.

The whole process works fine in Win2K and WinXP, but fails in Win 98 (and presumably 95 & me). The error that I get in Win98 is:

"File In Use"
"Some files that need to be updated are currently in use."
"The following applications are using files that need to be updated by this setup. Close these applications and click Retry to continue."

File list: Demoshield

[Retry] [Ignore] [Exit]

Much appreciation for any help.

Thanks.

-Matt

Chandima
01-09-2003, 11:03 AM
It could be that your setup is installing a file that Demoshield is using. The reason it happens on Win98 and not 2K could be because 2K has a higher version of this file so it doesn't need to be overwritten.

Mattw54601
01-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Yep, I'd pretty much figured that out from the error message. Is there some way I can turn on a verbose error message setting so that I can actually tell what file is in use - or any other tricks to figure it out? Without having the actual file name that is in use, correcting this error is going to be near impossible.

Thanks.

-Matt

Chandima
01-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Try logging the install. The log might (should) name the culprit. Once the error message pops up just open the log and look at the last few lines.

Setup.exe /v"/lv C:\InstallLog.txt"

Just launch the demoshield browser, and while it's open run the command line I gave. This operation should be similar to it being run by Demoshield itself.