PDA

View Full Version : Files that are dynamically linked are not overwritten

patward
01-08-2003, 05:57 PM
I am installing several HTM files using dynamic file linking. It appears that if these files are modified on the target machine, then they are not uninstalled (I use an upgrade path to remove old versions), and are not overwritten during the install.

Is this behavior a "feature" of ISX? If so, do you have any recommended work around that doesn't involve giving up dynamic linking (I have over 100 files dynamically linked across several subdirectories). I am considering writing an uninstall script to delete all files in the subdirectories that haven't been already removed...

Chandima
01-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Good news: This is not a feature of Express.

Bad news: It's the way Windows Installer behaves. Regardless of being dynamically linked, I think the Windows Installer leaves them behind because they were modified by the user. You can log the uninstall or upgrade to verify this.

Workaround: You are half way there. If you launch your custom action "After Ready to Install dialog" it will delete these files so when your new files are installed, it would be like installing on a clean machine. That is, you don't have to worry about whether the newer files overwrite the old ones etc, etc. This is actually an approach we're considering to simulate an "Always overwrite" option.