PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall

MelanieJean
01-07-2003, 06:14 PM
How do I build an install shield setup.exe for our product so that when the end user reinstalls it they do not have to first uninstall the existing one? From looking over messages on the forum, this seems to be a gotcha for a lot of folks. I am looking for a simple failproof solution. I need to get this out tonight.

Neeru
01-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Hello,

Express 4.0 offers the ability to send a patch for your existing package via the Quick Patch Wizard. A patch will only update the files that you need without having to uninstall the product.

The only thing to know is that a patch created with Quick Patch wizard will only allow you to update files and registry keys. If your upgrade needs to perform other operations like launch custom actions etc, then you may want to look into Minor Upgrades. A Minor upgrade, unlike the Major Upgrade will not require you to uninstall the existing product. For more information on deploying a Minor Upgrade using Express, please refer to the following article: Q105223 (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=CLASS350XEE&articleid=Q105223).

Thanks
Neeru

MelanieJean
01-07-2003, 08:31 PM
It sounds like all I need to do is include REINSTALLMODE=voums and REINSTALL=ALL switches to setup.exe. Where do I type in these switches?

Neeru
01-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Hello,

You can either pass those command line arguments via the setup.ini file to setup.exe or manually pass them to setup.exe via command prompt or run command. If you have a CDROM release, then you can pass those command line arguments via the autorun.inf file as well. If you have a single setup.exe, which is compressed, you can launch a batch file that launches setup.exe with those command line arguments.

Please visit article http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=CLASS350XEE&articleid=Q105223 for details on how to pass those command line arguments via setup.ini file. This article will walk you through the process.

Thanks
Neeru

SicilianTM
02-06-2004, 01:05 PM
I am having a similar problem.

I would like to make ONE setup.exe, which will install and overwrite all existing files (without requiring an uninstall) under all of the following circumstances:

1) Fresh Install
2) An upgrade of a previous install made with InstallShield Express 5
3) An upgrade of previous install made with older versions of InstallShield (In this case, InstallShield for Microsoft Visual C++ 6)

I have tried various combinations of REINSTALL and REINSTALLMODE, and cannot get all three cases to work.

I either get nothing at all installed on a fresh install, a mess where some files get replaced and some don't, or the "Another version of this product is already installed" error message.

Any workarounds for this? This is for a special purpose PC based product, so I don't have to worry about the same concerns of wide distribution.