PDA

View Full Version : How to Force a Complete Rebuild?

nlk10010
01-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Using ISX 4 it seems that sometimes changes I make to the project don't always "take" when I Build (of course it could be me).

Is there a way to force ISX 4 to do a "complete" rebuild (perhaps by erasing a configuration file)?

Thanks.

=NLK=

Chandima
01-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Performing a build deletes the previous build and does a complete rebuild. What exactly is the scenario that the build doesn't "take"? Is it by any chance regarding a Dynamically Linked File?

nlk10010
01-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, let me give you an example.

When I first designed a project (through the Wizard) I had included the Update Service redistributable (thus I had the "Check for Updates" checkbox on the Finished Dialog). I then tried to remove the Service by changing the options on the Finished Dialog as well as removing the check box from the Service under Redistributables. For many builds after that I kept getting the Check for Updates checkbox on the last dialog. After umpteen builds the check box finally disappeared.

There also seem to be many red checks next to features which I did not include (e.g. Environment Variables), though of course this is less problematic as long as they don't manifest themselves as unwanted feature in the install file.

Could this be an error I'm making, like missing a place where I need to clear a feature? Sure, I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Was there something else (aside from changing the options on the Finished dialog and unchecking Update Service under Redistributables, as I remember) I should have done? While I don't want to get panicky it really could become a big problem; had I been preparing my installation for release (instead of just playing around) I would have been forced to delay distribution until the unwanted service issue was corrected.

BTW, impressive response time. Thanks.

=NLK=

Chandima
01-07-2003, 11:05 AM
First of all, don't worry about the red check marks that appear by each view. This check mark appears whenever you look at a view. The mark does NOT mean that something has actually been entered in the view.

As for the example you gave, I think the Update Service is the only feature that has this kind of wierd behavior. The key to safely toggling this option on/off is to use the "Update Service" view itself. In this view, if you set "Enable Update Service" to yes, it will automatically select the merge module (redistributable) and select the check box on the Finish dialog. Setting it to No will remove the module and the check box.