PDA

View Full Version : Installing a program as a service

LeighW
01-03-2003, 04:45 PM
How do I install a program as a service. I am doing an install for Interbase 6.02 open version. It can run IBGuardian and IBServer as services.

I suspose I could write a program or dll that calls CreateService but I don't really know what's needed.

Thanks for your help.

LeighW

Mike Marino
01-03-2003, 05:09 PM
InstallShield Express does not have direct support for NT Services. This is a feature available in InstallShield Developer.

To do it in Express, you would either need to write a DLL and call it from a custom action, or manually edit the ServiceControl table of your build MSI Package (or your ISE project File) in Orca.

LeighW
01-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Where do I find Orca?

LeighW

Mike Marino
01-03-2003, 05:49 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/default.htm?p=/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdkredist.htm

You have to download the Windows Installer 2.0 SDK....Orca is part of that.

Please keep in mind that modifying an Express Project File or Build MSI's in ORCA is not supported by InstallShield. So if you opt to do it this way, be very careful what you edit. Changing the wrong thing in ORCA can cause severe problems with an installation and/or project file.

LeighW
01-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Thank you. I think that I will write a simple dll to be used to install the service using the windows api OpenSCManger and CreateService in the install and OpenService and DeleteService in the uninstall part checking the use count in the SharedDll before removing. I don't know whether to use the OWN_PROCESS or INTERACTIVE_PROCESS flag.

Leigh