PDA

View Full Version : Serial number not needed for silent install - bug?

Painin the S.
12-29-2002, 08:27 PM
In Delphi I created a serial number validation DLL. The DLL works fine... as long as the setup program's GUI is visible. Whenever I do a silent install, any serial number validation is simply skipped. The validation DLL isn't called and the product is installed without problems. This seems to be a back door for anyone who wants to install my product without a license :(!

1) Is this a (serious!) bug? If so, is there a workaround?
2) How do I pass a serial number to the setup program via the command line?

By the way, I do a silent install by passing the /s /v/qn command-line parameters to setup.exe.

wallywojo
12-30-2002, 04:57 PM
This is actually not a bug. To understand why, you can just ask how does the validation occur. This is an edit form that is validated through a user interface. If no User Interface exists (/qn), validation of the serial number will not occur.

Painin the S.
12-31-2002, 08:06 AM
Suppose someone wants to use your program without having a license and thus without having a serial number. That would mean: too bad for him, he won't be able to complete the installation process. That's the very idea of serial number validation, right?

Well, as far as I understand now, not according to the standards of InstallShield. That same user could just run the setup program in silent mode and install the product without entering a valid serial number.

Conclusively, the serial number validation seems to be completely useless. Can someone confirm that this is indeed the behavior that the InstallShield developers had in mind? Or better: could someone suggest a workaround to close this backdoor?