PDA

View Full Version : File Manager crashes ISE

lynnmorrison
12-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I can reproduce this time and time again. If I go to Files and even so much as hover over the right pane of the file manager, I get an error from IS saying it has to shut down. It also gives me options to restart the app...

Now I can get around this by simply using a regular file explorer window and drag my files from there, but it is much more convenient to do it right from IS IDE...

Is this a known problem? Should I report a bug if others are having this problem too?

Thanks

Mike Marino
01-02-2003, 12:45 PM
I assume you are hovering your mouse over the top right pain in the File's View? Is this correct? If it is, can you tell me what kind of links you have on your Desktop. I have seen broken shortcuts in a system's Desktop folder cause these types of problems.

You might what to try moving all of the icons off your desktop to another folder to see if the problem goes away.

lynnmorrison
01-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Moved all icons and links off my desktop, the problem still exists...

Something I noticed.... if the dir selected on the left points to an empty directory the right side is fine. The problem is only if there are files in the right pane. I can navigate to my project dir on the left side, but the second I hover over the right side it crashes.

Thanks

Mike Marino
01-02-2003, 04:24 PM
What operating system are you running?

lynnmorrison
01-02-2003, 06:52 PM
XP Pro...

Mike Marino
01-03-2003, 11:00 AM
This is really strange. I have Express running on a number of XP Pro boxes here and have never seen this type of behavior. I assume you have the latest XP Service pack installed, and that this is not a VM-ware image.

Usually when critical errors like this get thrown, a dialog comes up asking if you want to send InstallShield the error. I assume you are not getting this as well. If you are getting this, please let me know.

One other thing you can look for is a file called iside.log in the same folder as iside.exe (..\Program Files\InstallShield\Express\). If you have an iside.log, please send it to me. That may reveal the source of this problem.

Did you upgrade to 4.0 from a previous version of Express? If so, you may want to uninstall Express. Delete the ..\Program Files\InstallShield\Express\ folder, and reinstall. Sometimes when upgrading certain files do not get replaced, causing unpredictable results.