PDA

View Full Version : 2 tier Update implementation

droolking
12-26-2002, 01:43 AM
Hello,
good that installshield is coming with the 2 tier sort of technology.
but is there way that doing an admin install can help us in receiving updates for our product.

i.e I will be doing an admin install to dowload the package in the sever machine. but how do Update service work without a product being installed there. is there a round about for this

Our problem is that since the server install will be an 'Admin Install'
1. There will be no application running there.
2. Even if we put the update interval as say '30 days'. How will we be notified about this.

Any help or comments in this regard is welcome.

Chris Woerner
12-27-2002, 10:24 AM
So you will login remotely to the server and install your software. Are you installing server software? I am guessing, the answer is yes. If so, I am confused when you say that there is no applicaiton installed there. Why does it matter that the install was done as an admin? I don't understand that part.

Stefan Krueger
12-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Here is how I understand the questions (and even if I'm wrong, maybe you can suggest a solution for this scenario):

An uncompressed image of the software is placed on a server. The software is not actually installed on the server. (Like a "Administrative Install" in MSI)

Clients run the software from the server, i.e. they only have shortcuts, but no files copied to the local disk.

Now if an update becomes available the Administrator wants to update the files on the server. (Clients can't do that because they don't have write access to the server)

This is all no problem. The question is: how will the Administrator be notified of updates? He doesn't have the software installed, so he'll receive no automatic notifications.

One solution might be to run the ISUS Agent on the server (or the Administrator's desktop) using a shortcut. But unless he's doing that each day he may miss critical updates. Also if he has to check for multiple applications he'd need to run multiple ISUS shortcuts one after the other.
It might be nice to have something like a "AdminAgent" for that would manage multiple product codes. It could be run daily and display available updates for all specified products in a list view. (Doesn't Microsoft have a similar tool for their security hotfixes?)

droolking
01-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Hi,
Running an ISUS agent....??? whats that.
how do we achieve this sort of implementation...????
any solution.

admin running this agent daily is not a problem with our
requirement, but how to implement this.

regards
Balaji

Stefan Krueger
01-06-2003, 04:45 AM
ISUS = InstallShield Update Service
The Agent is the client side runtime part of ISUS