PDA

View Full Version : *.msi & Version Resource

geppo12
12-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Is possibile put a version number resource in a *.msi file ? if yes how can I do ?

Thanks
Ing Giuseppe Monteleone

Chandima
01-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean whether you can give an msi file a version number, or whether you can update a version number of a file in your setup (fs your msi installs a file with version 1.00 and you want to change the msi so that it thinks it's installing version 2.00)?

geppo12
01-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Welcome back Chandima :)

I mean the same option that you have when you click right button of mouse select property/version on *.exe file.

Is possible to make a similar thing with *.msi (putting a version number insider)

Another question si if you have a setup.exe, if possible that *.exe version file is the same that you put into ProductVersion in Product Property (General Info tab in ISX 4).

Thanks
Ing Giuseppe Monteleone

Chandima
01-07-2003, 11:17 AM
I'm afraid this is not possible. The msi file is one created to a microsoft standard and it has to be created as a non-versioned file. The only difference with an msi file is that it has a "Summary" tab. On a Win2K or Win ME machine right click on an msi file, select Properties, and then select the "Summary" tab. This gives more information about the file and shows the information you specify in the "Summary Information Stream" section of the General Information View. Unfortunately "Version number" does not show here.

We currently do not support changing the version number of Setup.exe either. Setup.exe is not a file that is created at build time. It's just a pre-existing exe file that behaves according to what is specified in Setup.ini. So I doubt a version change can be made to it without rebuilding the file.

Chandima
01-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Had an idea. Please see the following thread.

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108725